Notices

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I overread the first "must be in package".
So did I got it right:
Since Stellarium is open source, Stellarium Mobile have to be open source as well, right?
Open source is a meaningless phrase in this sense. There is no agreement on what "open source" is, and even if we accept the common definition of open source as equivalent to free software (DFSG, just to have a concrete definition), there are still too many options.

Stellarium is GPL. Stellarium Mobile is derived from Stellarium, therefore it has to be GPL (unless all copyright owners of Stellarium agree otherwise). According to someone who installed and ran Stellarium Mobile, the about dialog reports that it is GPL.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
If you buy from OVI you only get this file. Assuming that OVI is legal, this package contains either the source, or a written offer for the source (3a, 3b in the GPL). In either case, further distributing the package (non-commercially) is legal (3a, 3c).
You are missing the third option: if Ovi Store is violating the GPL by distributing it, then you are doing it too. No excuse, and you are as liable as Ovi (but also will have a harder time finding good lawyers!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Just buy it, i dont mind paying a little money for a developer who put the time and effort to make this on ovi store... like angry birds

Also, in case you wonder: as there's only _one_ contributor who refused to relicense stellarium into a dual/propietary license, there's an easy way out: just remove that contributor's code.

(Now, that is the point where I would usually cede victory and forget about the entire thing)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Just to let you know:
I bought Stellarium right now and I see it like a donation.
It is really worth the 2,99€

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Nevertheless, this is a non-story. What we need is:

Get Ovi to comply with the GPL by offering to download the source.

That's about it. Yes, the GPL will make it easy for anyone _who bought it_ to redistribute the binary to anybody without any legal implications... but I guess with piracy rates as they are, who cares?

The author will get some money. We will get the source. Freeloaders will get a third-party built binary. Everybody's happy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
You are missing the third option: if Ovi Store is violating the GPL by distributing it, then you are doing it too. No excuse, and you are as liable as Ovi (but also will have a harder time finding good lawyers!!).
If you actually read what I wrote, you'll see that I did not ignore this option, since all I wrote was predicated on OVI distributing this package legally. Whether they do or don't, I am not personally worried.

While I might have harder time finding a good lawyer, a potential adversary might have a harder time finding me, and will surely have a harder time enforcing any financial ruling, if and when.

On the other hand, if all your hypothetical lawyer brandishing person wants is for that specific server to stop distributing that specific package, all he has to do is find whoever is in control of that server and ask them. Who knows, maybe they will agree.

On the third hand, if he wishes for this package to only be available to people who pay him first, he had better wish for the moon instead, since it is much better to have, and as much a chance to get.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Just to let you know:
I bought Stellarium right now and I see it like a donation.
It is really worth the 2,99€
You just donated 1 Euro to Nokia.

Wouldn't it have been better to donate all the money to the developer?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Nevertheless, this is a non-story. What we need is:

Get Ovi to comply with the GPL by offering to download the source.

That's about it. Yes, the GPL will make it easy for anyone _who bought it_ to redistribute the binary to anybody without any legal implications... but I guess with piracy rates as they are, who cares?
Why do you add "_who bought it_"? The GPL allows anyone to redistribute it (by following the requirements of the GPL). Nothing abour having to buy it first.

The author will get some money. We will get the source. Freeloaders will get a third-party built binary. Everybody's happy.
Why third-party built binary? By the GPL. Anyone may redistribute the original binary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Even if I saw that link to the .deb file here, I've just bought this excellent app from OVI store just to show my appreciation to those developers that takes the time to do a quality app for our n900.

Last edited by lsolano; 2010-10-23 at 20:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpl pirate :)