Active Topics

When I realised what the "other half" meant, I thought they should show a qwerty keyboard half, instead we saw different colour back covers

other half ideas:

IR port

But then do we have to several "other halves" in order to have hw keyboard, IR port, larger battery? N900 had all those integrated!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Just thinking about that custom car holder... What if the "other half" for car was actually whole unit plugged in place of car audio receiver, containing holder for the phone, small amplifier, FM-radio and connections to other car functions like remote controls or even ODB-port. Plugging in the device would change the UI of the phone so that it would automatically become main interface for radio, audio, GPS/navigation etc. functions, automatically connect to hands free system in the car and charge the device at the same time so there wouldn't be any need for separate charging cables etc.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Just thinking about that custom car holder... What if the "other half" for car was actually whole unit plugged in place of car audio receiver, containing holder for the phone, small amplifier, FM-radio and connections to other car functions like remote controls or even ODB-port. Plugging in the device would change the UI of the phone so that it would automatically become main interface for radio, audio, GPS/navigation etc. functions, automatically connect to hands free system in the car and charge the device at the same time so there wouldn't be any need for separate charging cables etc.
oh.....juicy.....

The Following User Says Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
was thinking of this today and imagining an interface for a reversing camera as well..

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
I just want a keyboard case and then I'll be happy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
I just realized, if Jolla plays this other half right, they could become the Arduino for phones - Jollaino. But they have to open up the specs and release 3D models (like Nokia did with the Lumia case http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:43157) of the other half, so you could print your own half and play with it.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to max_power For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Is there anything concrete information about how the other half works? Has anyone asked (Twitter?) Jolla about this?

This information must be available at least for hardware partners. Does it take a company to become their partner or can our community become one?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Many great ideas that I won't repeat.

A "nice to have" would be a digital DJ-oriented half that has multiple line-outs for both monitoring in headphones and the master signal for speakers. USB ports to connect midi controllers and an external harddrive of music files. Would all come down to the quality of the apps, but maybe there already exists something for android. Something like the Urbanears "Slussen" connector/app for iDevices. Would be fun.

I think I would generally go for a more expensive half that does many "necessary" things moderately well then a multitude of halves that just do one thing really well. I can't see myself owning more than 3-4 halves: 1 for everyday use (that did storage, battery stuff), and a few for application-specific use like serious photography, DJing, or car use.

I don't think I would do profile-specific halves like they mentioned, it's too trivial a use-case for me (work vs freetime). I would want to minimize the situations where I was wishing I brought an alternate half with me.

Last edited by Drekkie; 2013-05-22 at 14:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Is there anything concrete information about how the other half works? Has anyone asked (Twitter?) Jolla about this?

This information must be available at least for hardware partners. Does it take a company to become their partner or can our community become one?
This is where it starts to get really interesting. From watching all of the videos it appears that Jolla is getting questioned on the Other Half, but they're not showing all of their cards just yet. Certainly will be eventually necessary for the hardware to develop appropriately.

I would absolutely love to see a company like Echo Audio design an audio interface Other Half . I dream of being able to not only plug-in but set the input audio levels to make reasonable field recordings with a bit of dynamic range and without distortion. Output as well at an additional headphone stage (amplified) as well as digitally (usb or otherwise).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
I would love to see a mobile digital tv receiver on the other half. Or perhaps a DAB receiver. Or a Satellite Phone so when you are going to remote locations you have emergency access. Along with that perhaps a second GSM sim cover so you could use it seamlessly while roaming. So many ideas...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo