Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Donating now - Bit of a delay... Looking good already.

What is the desired outcome to get the Dual >> Quad core Neo900?
I think Dual core would be great, then maybe another revision next year or 18 months down to get the Quad.

Seems like your team has decided on the DM3***, why not just remove the Dual/Quad options? Gets peoples hoped up....

Last edited by kingoddball; 2013-10-31 at 22:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
I guess single core won't be as problematic as lack of multi touch.
I've seen the demos of Ubuntu Touch and they never use any multitouch gestures anyway, leading me to believe they're not entirely necessary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fridgecow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
What is the desired outcome to get the Dual >> Quad core Neo900?
I think Dual core would be great, then maybe another revision next year or 18 months down to get the Quad.

Seems like your team has decided on the DM3***, why not just remove the Dual/Quad options? Gets peoples hoped up....
We didn't offer any such "options", we did set up a "minimum" and a "optimum" (hypothetical) spec and then evaluated feasibility for both. What else than dual/quad-core should we use for the "optimum" spec to evaluate the feasibility?
Anyway later on in same study it's explained pretty verbosely why we can't reasonably do any alternative SoC with sth better than ARM Cortex -A8, aka OMAP3 series.

Once this project got accomplished, we might aim for a better SoC if we ever go to build a Neo900 successor.

cheers
/j

PS: thanks for 6666 thanks! ;-)

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-31 at 23:29.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Germany
Just a thought on the dual/quadcore thing:
I think that we are all together, that we dream about this, but it isn't what it makes the phone. The success of the n900 is on on the hw side the keyboard, but on the great side it is the software, meamo (or to be precise: then underlaying debian). That's why all these hw bolides with android sucks: They have for shure dream hw, but it is uselless, as you can't profit from them eg in running desktop software fast. It is the same with a "real" pc. You can build yourself a great pc, but it remains useless, when you install an os like windows (8) or any other bad os.

So the effort of the neo900 is not a great hw, but a better hw combined with this great maemo os (and for shure the privacy and hack features).

just my 2 cents

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hauslandbibliothek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fridgecow View Post
Hi, I'm nearly ready to donate, but I have a question. Will this device be powerful enough to allow Ubuntu mobile to be ported? Is this a possibility (even though I realize that it's not an initial priority)?
We are on the "edge" (no, not the Ubuntu Edge..) of minimal HW requirements (The minimal HW req's are Cortex A-9 - dual-core - we are using A-8 - single-core). But maybe with some hacks and tricks and optimalization, it can be done.

The problem will maybe be the Android "stuff" used as a base, maybe we can reuse something from NITDroid? Or Replicant?

However there are some other options - maybe use the Ubuntu Touch UI and as basis system something else? ... something like this. You can start the tests now in ScratchBox but your success depends on the success of the FPTF.

The best option now is probably to wait

However this is just pure dreaming.

PS.: This is going to be fracking awesome!

Last edited by lexik; 2013-11-13 at 12:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
Then it seems like the "Optimal" specs should be removed. It is giving a false hope to people who do not read the entire report.

Many people will find the spec page - See all 4 lines, notice the optimal and donate in hope for the Dual/Quad, when in reality this is already set to an OMAP3.

Just seems like something which should be omitted.

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Then it seems like the "Optimal" specs should be removed. It is giving a false hope to people who do not read the entire report.

Many people will find the spec page - See all 4 lines, notice the optimal and donate in hope for the Dual/Quad, when in reality this is already set to an OMAP3.

Just seems like something which should be omitted.
"The following table compares what we have in the GTA04 (Letux2804) and the RX51. And it shows what we can achieve by doing a minimal adaptation of the circuitry to the RX51 case and external components. And what some people would like to see."

For me it's pretty clear. And there are realistic specs listed on both http://neo900.org/specs and the donation page - and in the feasibility study itself. To be honest I don't know how one can donate and fail to notice that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Wow - >15K EUR in 2 days!
Crazy - Looks like you will (hopefully) reach the 25K!
How long are you going to keep the donation window open?
I may donate again
LTE sounds good

@Joerg/Dos - Do you have any type of ROUGH estimates on time?
Maybe time for research/design and prototypes?

Edit: Still going for dual sim?

Last edited by kingoddball; 2013-11-01 at 02:18.

my god did someone just donate 8000EUR?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by goodearth View Post
.......uses I have for my N900 is offline navigation in the remote Himalayas...................
OT - pm'ing you re the s/w you use for this...
Hope you don't mind...

Tags
neo900, thank you!