I'm not certain if it's worked. In my debs directory, I have an archives directory and two files, pkgcache.bin (3.5mb) and srcpkgcache.bin (3.5mb).

In archives, I have an empty "partial" directory.

My apps are few--Abiword 2.8.1; Advanced SystemUI, gFTP; GPE Calendar; homememfree; Midnight Commander; Opera Mobile; PortaBase; rootsh--but I sense I didn't get all the downloading necessary.

I ran it in rooted Midnight Commander (the script got "file not found" in rooted xterm), and MC just went back to directories tree when the script seemingly ended.

During the script process, I was getting complaints that a bluez utility was missing dependencies (wanted apt-get -f to be run), so I don't know if that messed up things. But I saw a series of libs being downloaded.

Jake

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Run it from xterm as root and copy&paste the output here.

/home/user # getnokiadebs.sh
/bin/sh: getnokiadebs.sh: not found
/home/user # sudo getnokiadebs.sh
user is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
/home/user # getnokiadebs
/bin/sh: getnokiadebs: not found

Another issue is there is limited space on device memory, so I changed the debs directory to /media/mmc1/debs (2GB removable sd card).

Another issue were the complaints about a bluez deb (and another kernel deb, too). These were optional debs from the diablo turbo page (outside maemo). I was able to fix those dependencies and try the script again in Midnight Commander.

Running the script in rooted mc, downloading the debs to the sd card appears to have worked. The archive is full of debs, but I'm not certain of the right number. MC ends the script abruptly, simply returning me to the tree directory, with no message of success, etc.

I would like to run the script again in rooted xterm proper, but I'm obviously doing something wrong there.

Jake

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Three things:
1) Instead of sudo getnokiadebs.sh, try becoming the root first:. Type root or sudo gainroot. Assuming you have rootsh installed.
2) To run the script from the current directory, you need to specify the path since the current directory is usually not on the PATH. Use ./getnokiadebs.sh. The dot and slash at the beginning tell the machine, "find the file in the current directory".
3) There won't be any "finished" prompt. The script is designed to run from the command line and there you can see the output, so no prompt is necessary. I do not know how MC works but it was based on Norton Commander which had a magic key (Esc) that allowed you to peek behind the blue panes and see the command-line output. Maybe MC has something similar?

Anyway, it seems to have worked. If you got about a thousand files, give or take a few hundred, then the job is done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I was in gainroot all the while, but your advice in Step 2 was the one that got the script running in xterm.

Probably good to run in both MC and Xterm as the properties output was identical both times.

My deb file output is only 93 files, but as you can see from my prior posts, I run few apps, and in fact have uninstalled Maps.

A final rub:

--

Downloading x11-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are usi ng the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not y et been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is e xtremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the s ituation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
x11-common: Depends: debianutils (>= 1.13)
E: Broken packages

---

I'm not quite sure if this matters--my end goal is to have my installed programs off-line should maemo.org go off-line, or a zombie apocalypse finally come to fruition.

Thanks again,
Jake