I've been using the N900 for about two weeks now. Never upgraded the firmware or anything. Today I was trying to take a picture with the phone. I opened the camera cover, the cam screen showed. By mistake I pressed the power button instead of the capture button. After that the phone went off. It has not powered up again. I tried removing the battery and putting it back. Initially it seemed to be heating up like anything. I took the battery out for a while and put it back. It's not getting hot, but it won't power on.

Do I need to send this back or is there something I could try?

When I connect the charger the status LED glows green (steady).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
First I say that there is a lot of appalling information in this thread, so take it all with skepticism.

Historically, you should be able to reflash without using the command line by using the Nokia updater. I know that one of you said it didn't get rid of your personal info, but I think that is wrong.

Most of you should be using the Nokia installer and not Linux, I think.

But you will have to run in xp compatible mode if you are running 64-bit Win 7.

One of you was talking about holding down the u when you were running Win 7. I don't think holding down the u is part of the Windows flashing procedure.

One of you was making a big deal about avoiding the command line. I don't think that is worth making a big deal over, but you should run the Nokia software and you should be able to avoid the dreaded command line.

It has been a long day and I'm not spending more time here right now. Stay calm and follow the Wiki and you should be ok. Good luck.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I just found a way to a hard reset of the N900. And it works effectively.

Here is the step you should take to achieve this so called Hard Reset.

1.Pull out the battery from the device
2.slide the keyboard out
3.grab a cup of coffee
4.A hammer
5.Pour the coffee on the keypad and the back of the battery section
6. This step is the Hard Reset step, place the N900 on the concrete floor or Hard wooden/stone table and swing the hammer repetitively on to the N900 screen and keyboard and turn the N900 around and keep at it until the device fully re-SET itself and you will see no more Nokia Handshake video will show up ever again.

Now perform a CPR like you did on a human being and resuscitate the device.

Done..

Do it at your own risk, due to this guide required a lot of professionalism and 100% failure of resuscitation of the device, I would recommending you to have a second thought about trying to do a Hard Reset on this device.

Good luck, may god keeps your N900 safe

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-02-14 at 09:39.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Where the **** is the new topic button/link god damn it? How much time am I supposed to waste here?

How do I format the Nokia N900, if it's always restarting itself?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by marioalves View Post
How do I format the Nokia N900, if it's always restarting itself?
See http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware - for a full factory-reset, you'll need to flash both the eMMC and the firmware. Make sure you backup anything in MyDocs first, as the image doesn't contain all the default ringtones, map files, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Ok...I finaly got my N900 reflashed....

The updater is not friendly to Win7....even if you put it in XP mode.

I had to switch to my laptop with XP on it....I download the updater from the nokia site, plug in my N900 in PC Suite Mode and started the updater.....

It WORKED ON the first try.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hull, UK
Originally Posted by msa View Post
um, no.
a hard reset is a hard reset and a reflash is a reflash. both are completely different things.
hard reset is restarting a device after disconnecting it from the power source.
reflash is reinstalling its firm/software.

if a hard-reset via holding down the power-button does not work, then taking out the battery is a hard reset for the n900.
I wanted to flame so much here, but I won't! I'll simply say...

NO... a hard reset is restoring to original firmware and wiping settings. A soft resest is just wiping settings. (re)Flashing is a method of performing a hard reset, but not necessarily to the original firmware; although on the N900 it appears as though not necessarily wiping the settings either!

Taking out the battery or disconnecting the power source as you say, is a method of turning the device off... if the reason for this was to turn it on again, then starting it up again is a restart/turn on (or first boot if its the first time you've turned it on).

Last edited by gawbul; 2010-04-01 at 20:55.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ United Kingdom
This is true for a PDA or a Smartphone. The nokia n900, as with all the nokia tablets, behaves much more like a computer. Modern computers don't usually have a 'hard reset' function built in to restore data from ROM - if there is a problem with it then the last resort is to reformat the drive and re-install the operating system partition. This is similar to reflashing on the nokia n900 it seems.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hull, UK
Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
Ok, I will be the first to admit I'm a noob. I wish I wasn't but I am so. I need to hard reset my N900, I tried X Terminal but I'm afraid of bricking my phone so I didn't explore that option too much.

My problem, it constantly says: "Unable to receive or send text messages. Storage full. Remove...from device" or something to the effect. I have T-Mobile unlimited plan and it's paid a month early so that's not the issue. Furthermore, my catalogues aren't showing up and I've removed my battery and the sort at least a dozen times.

I have a MacBook and my audio and video files aren't showing up on my phone either. Please help.

Many thanks to those can/will.

************************************************** *********************************

I've tried: rm r /home/user/.* but no luck with it. I still can't send text messages.
You need this post: http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space - I had same problem, after installing lots of un-optified apps

Can you clarify the catalogues issue a little? Apt stores the cataloge list in the file "hildon-application-manager.list" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

On the eMMC audio files are in ".sounds" and video files in ".videos" (note the full stop and without speech marks. Any camera images and videos taken are in DCIM.

Last edited by gawbul; 2010-04-01 at 21:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to gawbul For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, reset