Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
What's the big difference between you now and Jolla then which makes it possible for you to realize what Jolla could not?
tl;dr:

Finished and to be shipped Jolla Tablet was killed by impatient or disillusioned investor (holding back money to pay production) after jolla had major difficulties finalizing it in time and did no good job in general end-customer service.

Youyota tablet does have much less engineering overhead now and can ship with already finished sfos hardware adaption.
Finance production, source the parts, coordinate the production and ship to backers seem to be the remaining tasks for youyota.

Also chen does a really good job in keeping everyone informed.
If youyota fails (lord forbid), we will at least know exactly why.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Hello chen,

any pictures soon of the production process ?
(crates of parts arriving and getting unpacked, or whatever steps you are currently in ?)

I mean of course if there are no confidentiality problems that I'm missing.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I've repeated this over many posts so my apologies for those who have to read it again.

Comparing the Jolla tablet to a six year old Galaxy Tab 10.1 (which has constantly been on since the very beginning):
Situation 1: airplane mode on, tablet on but completely unused, no applications running
- Jolla tablet: about 3-4 days, if you're lucky.
- old Android tablet: several months, and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. I charged it on 20 June, which is now a little under three weeks ago. Only used it for twenty minutes after taking it off the charger, haven't done anything with it since. Just checked the battery level: 89% (no typos: eighty nine percent!).

Situation 2: airplane mode off, Wi-Fi on, tablet unused with a couple of applications and background services (email accounts etc) running
- Jolla tablet: 2 days.
- old Android tablet: it's been a while since I used it this way, but from what I remember it lasts about 2 weeks.

Situation 3: tablet in constant use
- Jolla tablet: actually longer than you would expect based on the other numbers, about 6-8 hours (although this depends heavily on the sort of applications in use, as playing an intensive game or watching hi-res video will drain the battery a lot faster than surfing TMO, for example).
- old Android tablet: about 10 hours (again depending heavily on what you're doing).

Finally, the battery capacities compared:
- Jolla tablet: Li-Ion 4450 mAh
- old Android tablet: Li-Po 7000 mAh (keep in mind the actual current capacity is probably not even half that anymore)
As an update to this post: this morning, I woke up and my Jolla tablet's battery was dead. I fully charged it yesterday afternoon. Wi-Fi was on, there were only two Android applications running (neither of them particularly heavy), and the battery was completely drained in 14 hours at most. I'd take a screenshot of System Monitor to show CPU unused, WLAN unused, RAM always the same yet the battery going straight down, but you know, someone broke the screenshot functionality on the tablet and hasn't bothered fixing it for at least half a year.
On top of that, lately I've also constantly been running into the problem where all of a sudden all applications, even the one currently in view, are closed for no reason whatsoever. On a Jolla phone with the exact same applications and half the RAM, this has never happened. The Jolla phone also manages to have a lot more applications running at the same time than the tablet. The tablet also often apparently shuts down in the middle of the night, again for no reason whatsoever, as the battery is usually still well above 50%. Sometimes it even makes itself crash, requiring you to hold down the power button for a minute before it shows any sign of life again. Somehow, the tracker process on the tablet is also excruciatingly slow, and new pictures only show up in the gallery after a day, if you're lucky.

Then, my old Android tablet is currently sitting at 46% battery life. Again, it hasn't been near a charger since 20 June. That is two and a half months in airplane mode, and it's still only just over halfway done. tigeli, if you happen to be reading this, you're full of ****.

I fear everyone who bought a new YouYota tablet will end up disappointed beyond belief by how unfathomably poorly the tablet works.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Then, my old Android tablet is currently sitting at 46% battery life. Again, it hasn't been near a charger since 20 June. That is two and a half months in airplane mode, and it's still only just over halfway done. tigeli, if you happen to be reading this, you're full of ****.
I get that you're frustrated and probably rightly so, but insulting? Rly? Not cool.

I get that you're angry and probably rightly so, but insulting? Rly? Not cool.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@nthn I took you for real hacker for some reason, but...
  • 1.) The difference between the Jolla Tablet and some random android tablet is that the Jolla tablet doesn't go to deep sleep, ever.
    There is just so much to do and see in the world that sleeping is silly!
  • 2.) Running android apps in SFOS... well you know what's my opinion on that kind of nastiness!
  • 3.) Nobody getting the Youyota Tablet will be disappointed, we know what we are getting and why!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There is just so much to do and see in the world that sleeping is silly!
I am old geezer. I cannot claim that I have seen it all but, to be honest, I would not mind some silly sleeping. Even right now, despite my morning coffee.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
1.) The difference between the Jolla Tablet and some random android tablet is that the Jolla tablet doesn't go to deep sleep, ever.
Is it something impossible to achieve, because of the hardware?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Is it something impossible to achieve, because of the hardware?
Drivers. Ten chars.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
AFAIK, the tablet uses an android kernel (with android binary blob drivers?), even though it is Intel hardware that is mostly supported in vanilla kernel (with at least some improvements by Hans de Goede in kernel 4.12).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os