Active Topics

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
...to digital tv.

The Senate voted to make the change on June 12 instead of February 17.

What a joke.

It'll be 2025, nobody will be watching OTA TV anymore, and they'll still be putting the A/D transition off a couple months at a time.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My reading of Obama is that he is willing to make meaningless small changes in how he implements things just to make those who disagree with him feel better. He did that with making a change in abortion funding on the next day instead of on a day when anti-abortion protesters were marching. The one day's difference in implementation was appreciated by the anti-abortionishts.

In this case the change is similarly meaningless, but it will make some people feel less stampeded.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
They can put it off forever as far as I am concerned. Its not the governments place to dictate what equipment we should buy to watch TV. Its the marketplaces job to determine.

Next they'll be telling me I can only have a blackberry or an iphone, just kill me.....
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

No the government was telling anyone what they have to buy. The government was freeing up public airspace and if you want to receive TV YOU need to buy what is necessary. The Govt. went out of it's way to provide coupons to consumers to buy converter boxes. They didn't need to do that.

And my god what are those millions of people to do without TV? Read like I did for the year I had no TV.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Anyone analyzing on what Obama will do and how he will do it before he has had at least 100 days in office (to be actually able to do anything) is making rather snap judgements (or is being a fool, however you want to put it).

sondjata is right. The marketplace controls what we watch TV on, and what shows we watch, but the Fed controls the airwaves themselves, and the move to digital does free up a LOT of public airspace on the radio waves. Especially since you can like 10 times the channels via digital in half the space you did with analog. You can stack channels, individual stations can have up to like 9 channels all on the same frequency instead of just one like before.

So overall this switch to digital is hugely beneficial. On a side note, we made the jump from analog to digital cellular some 15-20 years back and the airspace it freed up was enormous. Overall though, there's only a limited amount of available bandwidth in the EM spectrum, and anything that can be used to maximize that limited space is always welcome.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by blowfish23 View Post
...to digital tv.

The Senate voted to make the change on June 12 instead of February 17.
Can you supply us a link to this information?

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Can you supply us a link to this information?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
They can put it off forever as far as I am concerned. Its not the governments place to dictate what equipment we should buy to watch TV. Its the marketplaces job to determine.

Next they'll be telling me I can only have a blackberry or an iphone, just kill me.....
The reason they are making us go Digital is because several years ago when Digital TV was in the works no one wanted to make a Digital TV because there was no Digital TV service I mean why would you pay millions of dollars to broadcast DTV if no one had a TV to watch it same with why make a TV that no one is broadcasting on it. So they made it so they had to broadcas DTV so people would make TV. If they every want something like Hybrids or Electric cars to become the norm they will have todo the same thing for them. Its also kinda the reason why Wimax wont make it why put up service if no one has the device and why make the device if there is no service. Nokia tried the N810 Wimax and look how long it lasted.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.