Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
This is the time to establish your tech company in espoo, lots of angry talent around.
That's what I was thinking yesterday. If I had the money, I'd be raiding Nokia for Linux and Qt talent right about now. I bet the ones who recently relocated to California will have flocks of headhunters descending on them next week; Facebook and Google won't believe their luck.

After all, when hired-gun CEOs like Elop draw shrinking bar charts talking about "resources", what they really mean is "headcount".

The Following User Says Thank You to toyg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
if there is one thing that i could shout out loud...

LONG LIVE OPEN SOURCE...

LONG LIVE NOKIA N900..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to one1002 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In companies with public shareholders the management can't disclose stock sensitive information to employees first.
Oh yes it can; they just have to forbid employees from disclosing it to third-parties or acting on it (i.e. selling shares/exercising options etc). In some periods (or even all year 'round, in some cases) this is a legal obligation for them anyway, so it doesn't change anything. Do you really think Steve Jobs doesn't tell his employees what the next big project is going to be? Of course he does, and the first person found to have broken the embargo gets fired.
The only reason you don't disclose such a shift to your own workforce is because you fear a negative reaction, which was exactly the case here.

When you fear your workers, something is deeply broken in your company; but again, if you're a hired-gun CEO like Elop, you only care about the size of your bonus.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to toyg For This Useful Post:
When you fear your workers, something is deeply broken in your company; but again, if you're a hired-gun CEO like Elop, you only care about the size of your bonus.
You mean elop cares about the size of microsoft's dividends..

My guess is that quite some people inside nokia knew about it or expected it. Maybe not qgil...how far up the ladder is he?

I mean you cannot make such far-reaching decisions without the advice of your employees.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
That's the only way it could be done. In companies with public shareholders the management can't disclose stock sensitive information to employees first.
That is not true in the way you are implying, i.e. as legally required. You do not have to keep employees in the dark. You may choose to do it because you are worried about a larger picture that is more important than your employees, but my god

"the only way it could be done...": - that's not a thing to say

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Do you honestly believe that's a more productive strategy than working in the system to make what changes you can (which, I imagine, aren't insignificant)?
I'm just observing that if one lumbers along with the leviathan without taking the risks of disruption, then one is more likely to end up being consoled in bed by Microsoft than taking the glory of leading the world in technological and commercial success.

I'm not blaming Quim, or criticizing him in any way. Most people with families to feed would have done the same. But it's a path to a regular paycheck, not a path to greatness.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I mean you cannot make such far-reaching decisions without the advice of your employees.
You haven't met many Elop-types, have you?

Technically, the CEO answers to the Board only (and even then...). He may or may not coordinate with other CxOs, but he certainly doesn't need advice from any employee to decide anything.

Obviously it's a good idea to listen to your employees, but it's not strictly required, and most big-man CEOs honestly think "leadership" means "I'll do whatever the f*k I want to".

The Following User Says Thank You to toyg For This Useful Post:
One school of leadership dictates it is better to make a wrong decision than to make none. And by extension: you can never have all the information, so you should act on what you already have.

Following this thought pattern, a new CEO will seek drama from day one.

...Selling Macromedia to Adobe was unforgivable, btw.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Indeed, Qt is a big competitor to MS ecosystem. Being coss-platform allows independence from MS Windows so developers could easily jump to Linux or Mac OS.
yes thats WHY its "black friday" for QT Nokioa just killed it by going Microsoft .NET

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
From Daniel Kihlberg
Director Qt Ecosystem – Qt Sales, Marketing and Services

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/12/...future-for-qt/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dtergens For This Useful Post:

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol