Active Topics

Notices

I have an N800 with OS2008 5.2008.43-7 installed.

When I run xterm there seems to be several common tools that are missing. For examples:

wget
apt-get
less

and many others that I thought were standard and I see other Maemo users using these in their posts. Where do I get these tools? Is there an extra package to download?

Thanks!
Eric

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
apt-get should be there, although you need to be root to use it successfully.

There's no less by default, but there is more. I would quite like less myself, actually.

If you have 43-7 and are missing apt-get, you need to reflash because something's horribly wrong. Once that's corrected, go into the application manager (menu --> tools --> application catalog) and enable Maemo extras. Then it's a simple matter of apt-cache search <term>.

http://gronmayer.com/it is a good source for repos.

The Following User Says Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
thanks for the help. I was a bit confused. I do have apt-get, but I'm missing some of the others that I'm used to like wget, whereis and less. Which repositories have some of the standard unix/linux tools? There are a lot of them in there.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You have apt-get, everything else is one command away.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
are you root? a lot the commands require that you are root to run them on maemo.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
wget is there for most of us. I'm not sure where it comes from (looks up at the sky)

Yeah I'm root. There's definately no wget or whereis. On a whim I just did apt-get install wget and that almost worked. It got a timeout waiting for headers from repository.maemo.org diablo/free wget after I said to install the unverified packages.

so I tried an apt-get update and it takes a long time saying waiting for headers again.

Remember I'm pretty new at this stuff and I could be making a very stupid mistake...

busybox, a single binary that emulates lots of common commands, is used to save space so there is the "more" command but not the "less" comman, i.e. to save space.

apt-cache search wget should find the package
apt-cache show package_name will tell you about it

Timeouts on headers sound the a problem with the web/repository web server.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
There's no less by default, but there is more. I would quite like less myself, actually.
Well, you know what they say, less is more.

sorry, couldn't resist.