It's confirmed by now that Nokia is comming backat about the end of this year, apparently with Android powered phones, so far.
Anyone heard anything else? I really think that continuing with MeeGo (or rather licencing Sailfish) would be a total hit for both companies.

The Following User Says Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
For both companies? No, my friend. Much as I like Maemo and can tolerate MeeGo and Sailfish, let's get back to the ground and see it from the business perspective, shall we?

Projected number of sold units with Androud: ~5-10 million
Projected number of sold units with Sailfish: ~5-10 thousand (being generous here)

It seems like a no-brainer to me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pishta74 View Post
It's confirmed by now that Nokia is comming backat about the end of this year, apparently with Android powered phones, so far.
Anyone heard anything else? I really think that continuing with MeeGo (or rather licencing Sailfish) would be a total hit for both companies.
No it wouldn't. why would it?

But a good start would be to remove Jolla leadership.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
For both companies? No, my friend. Much as I like Maemo and can tolerate MeeGo and Sailfish, let's get back to the ground and see it from the business perspective, shall we?

Projected number of sold units with Androud: ~5-10 million
Projected number of sold units with Sailfish: ~5-10 thousand (being generous here)

It seems like a no-brainer to me.
That's right. BUT. The market is a little bit overwhelmed with plain touch phones. Whatever you buy it's either i or a, and both are quite the same, nevertheless who produces them (so will the Nokias be all the same). Sorry, I don't know how else to put this.
And Nokia did tend to be different, before, at it's "golden" age.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No it wouldn't. why would it?

But a good start would be to remove Jolla leadership.
I could firmly aggree with the latter.

The Following User Says Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pishta74 View Post
Sorry, I don't know how else to put this.
Let me guess. Your first language is not English (Hungarian by any chance, judging purely by your nick?). In that case I think you put it perfectly.

And Nokia did tend to be different, before, at it's "golden" age.
Yes but the Nokia of those days no longer exists. The times no longer exist. It is easy to be an innovator and market leader at the infancy of a new technology. By now, however, all the low hanging fruit has been picked. We have been through all the fancy designs and settled on just a few winners. It's the same with every evolution, whether biological or business.

There was the Cambrian explosion of life, when nature created a lot of new body designs, including some strange ones with five eyes etc. In the absence of anything else, these may even have had a chance for a while. But natural selection soon weeded them out and settled on a small subset of winning designs.

The 1980s and 1990s were the mobile phone equivalent of the Cambrian explosion. But most designs, whether hardware OR software, have turned out to be evolutionary dead ends. The world has settled on just one hardware design, a boring rectangular slab with a glass front, and just two software designs. Anything else is destined to remain at the fringe, eking its meager life from the scraps left over by the giants.

This is not to say that it will stay like that forever. There was a time when reptiles ruled the world. If you were not a reptile, you might as well not have existed at all. The few mammals who existed at the time were small and miserable. Then something happened and suddenly the dominant life form are the miserable mammals.

Will the same happen with mobile technology? Definitely. The very success of the winning design will become its downfall. There is so little variation that the same event that kills one of them will kill them all. Just like the advent of a slab with a glass front knelled the demise of the candybar design.

Is Sailfish such a death knell for Android and iOS? Definitely not. Not nearly revolutionary enough. What is? I have no idea.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am sorry to have to state this again, but it is a recurring mistake that people for some reason make again and again!

Nokia is not going to make any smartphones.
Not in 2017, not ever. Nada. Just live with it.

There is a small (and insignificant IMHO) startup company called HMD Global or something like that, which has licensed the name "Nokia" and is going to come out with few Android devices but that does not mean NOKIA is going to make phones.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Jan 2016 @ Münsterland, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There is a small (and insignificant IMHO) startup company called HMD Global or something like that, which has licensed the name "Nokia" and is going to come out with few Android devices but that does not mean NOKIA is going to make phones.
That's how I understood the recent media-reports (My mayor source german heise.de).

I was already wondering about the first post.
It's confirmed by now that Nokia is comming backat about the end of this year"
Nevertheless: pishta74 do you have a source for this news?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I am sorry to have to state this again, but it is a recurring mistake that people for some reason make again and again!

Nokia is not going to make any smartphones.
Not in 2017, not ever. Nada. Just live with it.

Yet, Nokia will be observing the production to ensure that HMD produces its devices within Nokias standards, so people can expect the "Nokia-Quality" they expect from this brand.
So, Chinese phones which will look and feel like Nokia devices.
Most people won't even notice the difference,...apart from the lack of "great ideas" and "new approaches" etc...and...Maemo/MeeGo.

Does mean we'll never get an N900 successor. *sad*

But yeah, Nokia smartphones will probably will be "more of the same" in the android sphere...
Siemens S55 -> Nokia 6210 -> Sony Erricson K750i -> HTC Hermes 300/MDA Vario 2 -> Nokia N78 -> Samsung Galaxy S1 -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Nokia N9 (cyan/16gb) -> Jolla 1 -> iPhone 5S -> Xiaomi RedMi Note 2 Pro -> Nokia N900² -> iPhone SE, gave up all hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to N912 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by N912 View Post
Nokia smartphones will probably will be "more of the same" in the android sphere...
Just like they've always been. Android sphere now, Symbian sphere before, what's the difference?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia, sailfish