Notices

I second that, I have tried to get both versions working.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
Originally Posted by rmarcus View Post
So....could someone explain which version is working? and maybe, put the step by step procedures to have it working.
i know i might be asking a lot, so...whenever someone has some spare time, i would be really greatful!

Thanx in advance

hmmm....

1. I installed navit and navit dbg from repos
2. I installed gui-gtk from repos
3. i downloaded the .xml provided here earlier
4. I download Finland map from planet extractor via Navit wiki
5. Copied that to my N900 MyDocs
6. Downloaded pkg files also provieded here earlier and installed copied them to /opt/navit/share/navit/xpm/
7. I modified .xml to suite for my purposes. Modified gui little bit, map locations to match and also the start gps coordinates
8. Copied .xml file to /home/user/.navit and /ect/navit/

That should includes all

btw... i havent try to navigate with this, but that should be all.

Last edited by mele; 2010-01-29 at 20:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mele For This Useful Post:
Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Where can I find the N900 Navit develeopers?
I would like to join, and improve Navit for N900/N810.

I have no idea if this is the current navit, but it's worth a try: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/navit/

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I have no idea if this is the current navit, but it's worth a try: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/navit/
Last activity shows 2008.

The Following User Says Thank You to taril For This Useful Post:
Well other than that it seems schnebeck and Trek1701 are the only ones taking care of navit. Also check the email in the description of navit in task manager...

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vulcan
Hello,

I've made some modifications to the xml files in order to get an OSD that looks better to my eyes.

If you like it, place all *.xml files at /home/user/.navit

The speech.xml file is set to use the US language, and the maps.xml are pointing to US Florida maps, just for example.
The position and type of icons / text messages are set in the OSD.xml file.
For icons I'm using the ones from my previous post. http://ifile.it/436urz0/xpm_png.zip

Edit: @DaSilva: that is where the "navigation next turn" will be displayed. The box was not well placed. I've corrected OSD.xml and re-uploaded the file. Thanks for alerting me.

Trek1701
Attached Files
File Type: zip Navit.zip (21.4 KB, 1297 views)

Last edited by Trek1701; 2010-01-30 at 07:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trek1701 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Trek1701, now Navit works and looks better
Why is there a semi-transparent black quarter in the lower left corner?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Okay. I have done following and made some progress.
But I still have issues with it finding locations / shutting down.

1. I installed navit (via HAM)
2. I installed gui-gtk
3. i downloaded the .xml provided by Trek1701 above.
4. I download Australia map from planet extractor via Navit wiki
5. Copied that to my N900 /home/user/MyDocs/navit/australia.bin
6. Downloaded xpm_png.zip from this thread and copied them to /home/opt/navit/share/navit/xpm
7. I modified xml files as following:

maps.xml
Code:
<map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/home/user/MyDocs/navit/australia.bin"/>
navit.xml
Code:
<navit center="34 S 151 E" zoom="256" tracking="1" orientation="-1" recent_dest="10">
<map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/home/user/MyDocs/navit/australia.bin"/>
8. Copied .xml file to /home/user/.navit

No when I start it up, it starts blank for the map.
But iif I goto Actions menu, I can see that my car location is at the right coordinates.
So I choose my car and select View on map.
Then I see the map show correct location and I can zoom in and out and see the map properly.

But I have some problems and questions:
1. When Navit is launched, how do I make it start at my last location? or at least start at Sydney? or to a certain bookmarked location?
2. Navit just shuts down without any error after about 3-4 minutes. Never stays running any longer.
3. Is there anything else I need to modify than what I did above?
4. What is center.txt located in /home/user/.navit ?
5. In Actions - Town. Once I type the town name and go next, it asks for street but there's no OK button. What do I do?

Sorry for all the questions. But I would love to get this to work. =)

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vulcan
@jakiman

The coordinates at line:
Code:
<navit center="34 S 151 E" zoom="256" tracking="1" orientation="-1" recent_dest="10">
Are the starting ones, but only for the first time that Navit is run. Once Navit lock on your GPS position it will save your last position at "center.txt" file, so on the next load it will use this coordinate for the initial guess. But remember that it will only save the coordinates if it get a GPS lock.

About the killing after 4', some people reported that if running it from terminal, Navit won't kill. maybe you should try it.

About the "ok" button, I noticed that if the road that you are looking for is properly routed it will shows in a drop down list way as you type and then you click on it, otherwise don't. I've tested it with Florida maps and worked, but with some others don't.

One last thing. You edited the line:
Code:
at navit.xml file, but just to know, there is no need to edit this line as it will have no effect, since it is disable, as we are using the maps.xml file.

Trek1701

The Following User Says Thank You to Trek1701 For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap