Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
Brainstorm link http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/add_camera_support_to_flash_plug-in

This is my first one :-)

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-13 at 21:22. Reason: Title Change + status

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tomchiverton For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
I was wondering what you gonna brainstorm on this? how to force adobe and nokia to implement or reopen the bug again?

This forum is not for general discussion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
I was told on the bug to raise a brainstorm.

I think that's odd, because it's more a case of just getting Nokia to turn the feature back on, but <shrug> just trying to do the right process.

The Following User Says Thank You to tomchiverton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It just shows how Brainstorm's currently being abused.

This is not the only issue when a really well-defined enhancement request was "MOVED" from bugzilla to brainstorm... The problem is that - especially in this case - I don't see much to brainstorm about. It's a matter of re-enabling the function that's already there and was disabled on purpose. There's no other solution to it. You cannot re-compile the Adobe Flash plugin and offer a community maintained version from Extras. It's also not an option to completely replace the proprietary plugin with free alternatives - the alternatives are there, but they're still not on par with Adobe's code.

So what use is the brainstorm in this case? What is the community expected to do about it other than say: "Yes, we want this re-enabled?"

Thank you, anyway, for opening the brainstorm and playing by the rules. Voting for both the bug and the brainstorm is probably the only thing we can do at the moment. I did both.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
I talked to Quim, it is to show how desperately wanted this feature is!
Please link to the bugreport as well.
You may call for votes in threads mentioning the lack of this feature to get Adobe's and Nokia's attention for it. (dont spam please, keep it to related topics)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Alright, maybe it was a mistake to resolve that request as MOVED Brainstorm. Let me ask tomorrow about the status of this feature and depending on the situation we can discuss here what to do.

Question from someone not into the topic itself: are there other OMAP3 devices sporting this feature?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Guernsey
Im not aware of any but I can't think of many OMAP3 devices that have full Flash so far. Once the Flash 10.1 beta starts being released on mobile devices we will be able to see if others support it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pepitoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
So this is as I suspected. Code exists but according to our testing it's not up to the quality required. Enabling the feature would probably get users unhappy about video quality etc. Productizing this for the N900 would require extra resources and we prefer to put them in other areas that we believe have a higher priority. This is why it's not currently in the Fremantle plans.

If Maemo 5 has full Flash support already and you are not aware of many other OMAP3 devices with something similar, this tells you something about the amount of work Nokia has put already in order to help Adobe productizing their software.

Security concerns are not the reason, please edit the Brainstorm proposal if you want to focus the discussion on the right topic.

And now about brainstorming:

What are the features you want that make you ask for Flash camera support? Can these features be achieved using alternative technologies?

You may also consider explaining your needs to Adobe and/or any other partner shipping their software on OMAP3 hardware. At the end this is software that Nokia is licensing.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
What are the features you want that make you ask for Flash camera support?
Most live streaming services (like ustream.tv) use web/flash-based applications for live video streaming.

The Following User Says Thank You to dryeti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
so we can all do things like this

http://tinychat.com/n900frontcameratest

and actually be able to enable our front camera.

The Following User Says Thank You to weirdbeard For This Useful Post: