Active Topics

You've all seen the press release and the official product page. Below are some additional information I got at CTIA about the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition:    It will run Diablo. Update for N810 and N800 coming.     The email client is now Modest.     There are no finalized rates/plans yet for XOHM (WiMAX).     Over-the-air update is now built-in.     Bulge at the back it to receive better XOHM reception. I never found the slight bulge to be an issue.     Price will be $475 and should be out 2Q.     No PIM planned yet.     No one will confirm if this if the "4 of 5."     Connectivity has "Any Connection" option to switch automatically to WiMAX, WiFi, and Bluetooth. There is also an option for "WLAN and WiMAX."     Navigation software gets an upgrade.     No video for Skype yet.     Color is black brushed metal, black keyboard, and goldish bezel.     Case is pretty much the same but inside is carrot orange instead of sky blue.Full demo video from Satu Sipola, Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition Product Manager after the jump. Note that this was shot beside a Nokia booth wall that changes colors I took more pictures of the N810 WiMAX Edition, with some side-by-side with the original N810.
Read the full article.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
I like this part:

"Navigation software gets an upgrade"

Hopefully we see this update available sooner rather than later.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I'm glad they were able to hold the line on price, instead of jumping it up. Kind of got that idea when the $90 price drop on the "plain" N810 occurred.

I'm glad too that someone was willing to say to you that they are shooting for 2Q, rather than the wishy-washy "summer of 2008" date the press release commits to.

I'm really surprised about number 11: Skype missing the opportunity to broadcast an uncontestable raison d'etre: "incredible feature here, folks! — cam calls while you're walking around, for free, using VOIP, with all the millions of Skype users!"

Roger

PS: Can you get anybody to say whether the OS will wait for the N810 wme release? Or might they let it go first?

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Woa- no mention of this?

using a n810 from 180 feet up in the air

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Reggie,

Big debate here: what's the real way the Nokian's refer to this —

- N810W
- N810WE
- N810wme
- some other variant

Must know right away so forum headlines can be shortened! :-)

Thx

Roger

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've seen it referred to internally as N810W... but that may have just been shortened.

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
I'm really surprised about number 11: Skype missing the opportunity to broadcast an uncontestable raison d'etre: "incredible feature here, folks! — cam calls while you're walking around, for free, using VOIP, with all the millions of Skype users!"
Well, I'm not terribly surprised on that; it takes time to port and release commercial quality software, and Skype video on x86 Linux just came out. I'm sure it's coming, but I'd have been shocked to see it now.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I've seen it referred to internally as N810W... but that may have just been shortened.
Maybe once you get your tablet, pop out the battery cover and check the label what it says there...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Pictures? Pleeaase?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Maybe once you get your tablet, pop out the battery cover and check the label what it says there...
In 3 hours! : /