Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
anyone else notice that the camera on the N800 no longer auto flips the image when turned around?
Does it not flip in the standard Nokia camera app? I notice that the built-in apps do the auto-flip, but apps that use generic V4L2 don't flip the video properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
is there any way of making a tablet show up as a camera device on your PC? I know I can use gizmo video conferencing and screen capture the video window with a virtual camera program but a direct solution would be cool.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
is there any way of making a tablet show up as a camera device on your PC? I know I can use gizmo video conferencing and screen capture the video window with a virtual camera program but a direct solution would be cool.
You can stream video (and audio) from your tablet to a single, specific PC using gstreamer and this how-to. It isn't great quality, however.

A note about the how-to: You don't need all of those gstreamer packages; for that how-to, you only need:
  • gstreamer0.10-tools
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-extra
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

Even that list is probably overkill.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
people may find the gconf setting /system/osso/af/camera-has-turned interesting

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
for sound you may probably use esd interface or gst (though for gst you will need it enabled (at least in mplayer)). i don't have time to play with it right now, but if i do i'll post you the line

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hehe Serge's original builds have gstreamer but no tv. configure line is --enable-gstreamer

Doh!. Not configure line you mean. Sorry, having a blond hair day.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-14 at 05:47.

Originally Posted by KotCzarny View Post
for sound you may probably use esd interface or gst (though for gst you will need it enabled (at least in mplayer)). i don't have time to play with it right now, but if i do i'll post you the line
Thank you for joining this thread!

I think neither ESD nor GST can be used as audio input devices in mplayer. All of the mplayer / mencoder documentation says that you can use ALSA or OSS devices, but there is no mention of any other form of audio input via -tv or -radio.

I guess, therefore, your post suggests that the mic is not accessible by either of the supported methods. And so, I guess if I want audio, I have to resign myself to hammering something out with GStreamer...

What about better still images from camera (N800). At the moment video has better quality than photos...

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
What about better still images from camera (N800). At the moment video has better quality than photos...
I'm not sure the video is better quality than the still pics. They look about the same to me. I think we're just more forgiving of mediocre video quality.

But I think there should be some way to reduce noise on camera stills by taking two or three rapid, uncompressed 640x480 pics and then using temporal noise reduction techniques like they do in video.

The technique I'm talking of would look at the three pics and, if there is a 1-pixel dot in one pic but not the other two, get rid of it. Then, delete the three originals and compress the result. It wouldn't be the fastest way to take a picture, but it would produce much better results.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanks. Now waiting for brave soul to do that