Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
With the new found SD support, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14391, #29, and stability (wait 15 s or more once exit from gvm before re-start), I love my palm apps. To install palms apps, I have to dl on PC and winSCP to my tablet, gvm and install, too crumsy. Now I am using Pocketlink, an OK browser, go directly to the mobile site on gvm, dl .prc and install from gvm directly. I would like to have a better browser, as Pocketlink is very limited. What browser are you using on the gvm? URL? TIA,

bun

Edit: How do I post pics in the right orientation as well as bigger? I hate the way it posted, TIA,

Edit2: On any palm apps, what is the button to 'go back'? I use the hardware escape button, it always crash the system

Edit3: I found it, it is the little house icon on the lower left corner, that is the palm 'go back' key. I am learning something new every minute, like a newborn baby, yahoo!
bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-16 at 14:23.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
With the new found SD support and stability (wait 15 s or more once exit from gvm before re-start), I love my palm apps. To install palms apps, I have to dl on PC and winSCP to my tablet, gvm and install, too crumsy. Now I am using Pocketlink, an OK browser, go directly to the mobile site on gvm, dl .prc and install from gvm directly. I would like to have a better browser, as Pocketlink is very limited. What browser are you using on the gvm? URL? TIA,

bun
I use filez http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

The Following User Says Thank You to dan67sf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dan67sf View Post
I use filez http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml
That is not a web surfing browser, is it?

bun

That is not a web surfing browser, is it?

bun
No, it's just a freeware file explorer. That's not what you are looking for in your original posting.

I didn't try any palm browser in gvm yet. I'm heavily using opera mini on my palms. I like the mobile view and the reduced amount of data. But you need a java environment. I don't know, if the IBM WebSphere MicroEnvironment (which palm is not allowed to distribute any longer) works on gvm. AFAIK there exists no other Java VM for Palm OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZehHa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
you don't need to install programs in gvm anymore...
you can just copy the .prc files to SD-CARD:\\PALM\Launcher and the programs files like .pdb files to SD-CARD:\\PALM\Programs.
so you can do the whole procedure in maemo.
also if gvm crashes now you don't need to install all programs again. they are still there, because they are installed on the sd-card

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
... if the IBM WebSphere MicroEnvironment (which palm is not allowed to distribute any longer) works on gvm....
I got one of those IBM Microbump. No, it does not work on gvm yet. If only we can get Opera mini going...

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-16 at 14:36.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
you don't need to install programs in gvm anymore...
you can just copy the .prc files to SD-CARD:\\PALM\Launcher and the programs files like .pdb files to SD-CARD:\\PALM\Programs.
so you can do the whole procedure in maemo.
also if gvm crashes now you don't need to install all programs again. they are still there, because they are installed on the sd-card
Really? OMG, that is important to know. I will try...so, all .prc goes to SD-CARD and all else goes to Programs. That is easy, I will give it a try. That is really really really neat, THANK YOU. I think Pushwall tried to tell me, but I was NOT listening :-)

I did find out, that, one can manually add .prc to the winPCdesktop ACCESS install tool, upon sync with gvm, ALL progs re-installed without a glitch.

And reformat the Storage heap will re-surrect hotsync, but it will also wipe out your progs too . Still it is good to know how to get a sync.

BOY, I am having a ball with gvm today...............why there are so many threads about, uh, N8x0 is NOT working here, not working there, boring, poor functioning, on and on like a broken recorder :-) ? After owning the tablet for 15 month, I am still exploring its capability, thank you Nokia

bun

bun

I thought gvm does NOT do sound, right? No. I installed some palm games and give beautiful sounds. Has anyone able to run any players, audio/video, in gvm? TIA,

bun

Hey, the whole gvm community listen: zehjotkah is RIGHT! All one has to do is to copy, by whatever means you can, .prc to the SD card, \Palm\Launcher, and the app will run, no need for gvm installation...well, most of the time. Thank you zehjotkah. Two exceptions, if the app requires data dl from a server or requires a particular library, one still have to do installation via gvm. However, most of the apps, if it is a stand-alone.prc, you can just go! WOW. And of course, they would NOT wipe-out on a crash.

A little bit recap for the totally uninitiated, or for my own sake if I have to follow myself in the future

To create SD cards slots,

mkdir ~/.gvm/cards #only have do it once
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0 #SD-1
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/1 #SD-2 and etc
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/2
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/3
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/4
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/5
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/6
echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/7

I think you can have upto 8 SD cards, I am using SD-1 and SD-2 and they work beautifully.

Once the cards are created, I use Zlauncher to assess them.

None of the above credits to bunanson, ALL 'stole' from this forum, YEH!

Some good links for palm apps,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20558
http://mytreo.net/downloads/documents-to-go,817.html
http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/utilities.shtml
Zlauncher, http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dl...er%2FZL545.zip

enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-16 at 17:22.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
And reformat the Storage heap will re-surrect hotsync, but it will also wipe out your progs too . Still it is good to know how to get a sync.
Disable the HotSync backup conduit -- seems to be choking on > 64 KiB records. I though Palm fixed that long ago.
(HotSync Manager -> Settings -> Applications -> Uncheck "Backup")

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
gvm, gvm browser, palm