Active Topics

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Switzerland
hi

i've a question to all of you guys here: is there a native passbook app to open boardingpasses (.pkpass files)? or is there another good solution to open passbook files?
i know it isn't the most important app but i think it's worth asking if there is an app

thanks for all ideas and answers !

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by d0n_Egg1 View Post
i've a question to all of you guys here: is there a native passbook app to open boardingpasses (.pkpass files)? or is there another good solution to open passbook files?
mmh, I suppose you mean boarding passes like for airline tickets?
I never knew they've got a special format for those, I've most often got 'em as PDF's.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
yeah sorry, i 'm talking about airline tickets
intresting that it's an apple format, i received a pkpass file from my airline without getting asked if i'm an iphone owner

however it should be possible, somehow, to open these files on other distributions. see here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...***-on-android
but this might be a tough thing

Last edited by d0n_Egg1; 2014-04-16 at 11:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to d0n_Egg1 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
yeah sorry, i 'm talking about airline tickets
intresting that it's an apple format, i received a pkpass file from my airline without getting asked if i'm an iphone owner
Typical Fruit-Co. arrogance, you either have an iDevice or else you are unwashed rubble and your needs are not important.

Now why am I not surprised a bit about this?

however it should be possible, somehow, to open these files on other distributions. see here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...***-on-android
but this might be a tough thing
Yes, the reference by @nieldk points to the same specification mentioned in the stackoverflow answer.
Ultimately the passbook file seems to be a zipfile containing a bunch of PNG images and some JSON data describing keys.

If you are lucky one of the images might yield up an airline barcode in BCBP-2D format.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Typical Fruit-Co. arrogance, you either have an iDevice or else you are unwashed rubble and your needs are not important.

Now why am I not surprised a bit about this?

Yes, the reference by @nieldk points to the same specification mentioned in the stackoverflow answer.
Ultimately the passbook file seems to be a zipfile containing a bunch of PNG images and some JSON data describing keys.

If you are lucky one of the images might yield up an airline barcode in BCBP-2D format.
Oh! the evil of all roots
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/381803,hacker-holds-key-to-free-flights.aspx

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Oh! the evil of all roots
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/381803,hacker-holds-key-to-free-flights.aspx
Yes, and the catch is at the end of the article

Originally Posted by itnews.com.au
Passengers with phony passes in hand only run the risk that the aircraft they intend to board may be fully booked, the hacker said.
"Currently, if you get into a completely booked flight and you have no place to sit, it will obviously be detected," he said.

Yes, and the catch is at the end of the article
hide in the toilet, with a se.. eh six-pack

so you mean there is a way to "isolate" the necessary file? or should i forget the idea that i can open boarding passes on sailfishOS?

so you mean there is a way to "isolate" the necessary file? or should i forget the idea that i can open boarding passes on sailfishOS?
Well, the spec says "Pass files are stored on disk as a zipped package with the pkpass file extension."

Without ever seeing a passbook file, I take that to mean it is just an archive (zipfile, tgz, lza,...) that contain a bunch of images and some identification data.
It might be openable with standard command line tools; for example strip extra headers off with dd, run the file thru unzip, sort through the results, display the flight details, codes & barcode...

Tags
jolla, passbook, sailfishos