Notices

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
I love this app. Any chance of it having an accompanying widget too? One thing i'm sorely missing is a twitter widget, i installed the Ovi one but it doesn't have any settings so it's just constantly updating in the background and sucking battery. Mauku didn't update and wiped the widgets from my desktop.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I prefer the much older Witter that runs on my N810. Unfortunately, I can no longer stand Witter on my N900. Sorry to learn that you're leaving Nokia devices. I am too, but not until my N900 dies, which I don't expect for some time.

understand. Thanks for the effort you put in.

I've "bricked" my N900 a number of times, but found flash restore successful each time -- if you need any tips etc to do the flash feel free to ping.

But like you at this point it wouldn't surprise me if the next device for me isn't maemo/meego.

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Well since i'm sat here typing on my new htc desire z (which is awesome) it's pretty unlikely i'm going to feel the urge to keep modifying witter. At somepoint i'll update various places with info on where the source is etc.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
Well since i'm sat here typing on my new htc desire z (which is awesome) it's pretty unlikely i'm going to feel the urge to keep modifying witter. At somepoint i'll update various places with info on where the source is etc.
Anything you miss about the N900 compared to the Desire?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Anything you miss about the N900 compared to the Desire?
Not yet, but to be fair i've only had it for about 5 hours. So far everything is better. Will no doubt blog about it after i've had time to fully assess.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Not yet, but to be fair i've only had it for about 5 hours. So far everything is better. Will no doubt blog about it after i've had time to fully assess.
Not the right thread for this post i know, but i'm asking because i have mixed feelings. Part of me thinks 'get another n900 in case this one breaks' because i love it so much, but part of me is lured to the faster processors etc. I just know that i'll miss the media capabilities etc, but i also want some of those apps and widgets. When i really think about it though, i know i can't get on with a phone that has a capacitive screen and every app i install says 'this has access to your gmail and your whole life' (that's not verbatim, obviously). Plus the app ads, oh how i loathe those damn things.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
Please do update where we can get latest source for witter. I'd be happy to take over maintaining witter and hopefully developing it further in time.

Is anyone else out there interesting in teaming up to keep witter alive and moving forward? maybe we can get a small group working to keep it going?

Last edited by SpandexBob; 2010-11-12 at 13:20.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by SpandexBob View Post

Is anyone else out there interesting in teaming up to keep witter alive and moving forward? maybe we can get a small group working to keep it going?
I will keep trying new versions of Witter but won't be of use on the development side of things.

i can't think of what else it 'needs' from a functionality perspective. All i'd like to see is a slightly improved UI, along the lines of TweeGo or TwimGo

Tags
python, twitter