Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
As someone who in much have lost the 'faith' in that the maemo platform will ever grow and mature into a professional, viable alternative - and adequately supported by Nokia - I guess I'd be the last person to be pro-N900 (with all it's flaws) - but I am. I still find it very refreshing to see a device come out that at least does things a little different and caters more to the hackers/tinkers amongst us.

Now. I still don't believe that the maemo 'community' will ever get to a size and have the level of organization/structure that is required to sustain both new developments as well as maintenance in a way that caters to the needs and expectations of professional users (and non-developers) - but, I hope I'm wrong.

But to the point. My girlfriend put it the best a few nights ago in reply to me whining about someone on the interweb who was 'being wrong'. She said:
"Do you guys know how extremely blessed you are to even have the luxury to worry and fight about something as trivial as this?"

A phone/operating system is really not enough to make people calling eachother idiots, jerks or trolls. It shouldn't even have the power to raise our blood pressure one bit. I wish I had kept that in mind myself more often - and to those of you that at one point or the other received a 'less than constructive and less than friendly' reply from me - please do accept my humble apologies.

I will, on that note, be cutting down my gadget-forum-time and try to focus more on things that truly, at the end of the day, matters [to me].

(Still hoping to one day see an N820 though) :-)
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Is that you, with your girlfriend in the bedroom, in this picture?

To credit xkcd for the cartoon a bit better:
http://xkcd.com/386/

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
As someone who in much have lost the 'faith' in that the maemo platform will ever grow and mature into a professional, viable alternative - and adequately supported by Nokia - I guess I'd be the last person to be pro-N900 (with all it's flaws) - but I am. I still find it very refreshing to see a device come out that at least does things a little different and caters more to the hackers/tinkers amongst us.

Now. I still don't believe that the maemo 'community' will ever get to a size and have the level of organization/structure that is required to sustain both new developments as well as maintenance in a way that caters to the needs and expectations of professional users (and non-developers) - but, I hope I'm wrong.

But to the point. My girlfriend put it the best a few nights ago in reply to me whining about someone on the interweb who was 'being wrong'. She said:
"Do you guys know how extremely blessed you are to even have the luxury to worry and fight about something as trivial as this?"

A phone/operating system is really not enough to make people calling eachother idiots, jerks or trolls. It shouldn't even have the power to raise our blood pressure one bit. I wish I had kept that in mind myself more often - and to those of you that at one point or the other received a 'less than constructive and less than friendly' reply from me - please do accept my humble apologies.

I will, on that note, be cutting down my gadget-forum-time and try to focus more on things that truly, at the end of the day, matters [to me].

(Still hoping to one day see an N820 though) :-)
Worrying and fighting for something as trivial as this...

i know just the show for you.

Curb your Enthusiasm.

watch it with your girlfriend. you'll see. you just need some perspective. And that show is exactly where you are going to get it.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Central Valley, California, USA
Please don't feel too bad. We all get fired up sometimes for stupid reasons. It's human nature!

I do hope that one day Maemo makes a splash like it deserves. It would take a convergance of desireable hardware and mature software to make it happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to lschumanfcoe For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the useful reminder. Actually, we're *so* privileged that most if not all of what we curse at or bicker over every single day falls in the 'trivial detail' category that you describe.

Which we conveniently forget right away, because cursing and bickering are fundamental human needs :-)

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Best perspective I've read in a while. But the N900 is possibly a dream I've had for ten years realized, so it will draw fire from within at times. I have to learn to channel it properly. Passion is good. Flaming is bad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Original poster joined in May, not around long enough to judge long term development

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Great post. Just don't expect me to sell my n900 and feed the poor, right? I'll do that with the heating bill money instead.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Piedras Blancas, Asturias, Spain
Nice post by the way.
But I think, that N900 is one of the first steps that Nokia has in mind, and of course not the last word.
As already said in the threat, we are talking about long term development...

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Original poster joined in May, not around long enough to judge long term development
You have to be on this forum to judge long term development?
If i'd known that i'd have stopped wasting my time elsewhere and joined sooner myself!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post: