Active Topics

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I don't think presenting a proposal is a reason to be excluded. This is not the Pulitzer.
It's a matter of culture, believe me that in a lot of conferences in my country, this wouldn't be well seen, people are suspicious and bad losers.
But I agree with you this is a open source conference, and I don't have any other intention than help, as I've done in the past in several events .

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
... and anyway VDVsx happens to be the developer of BlueMaemo, so I really think it's obvious that if you want and can do a Fremantle demo + future plans session or something along these lines you are going to be accepted no matter where you are or hide.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Ok, as someone usually say in this forums "less talk more action" .

Here is a draft of a possible 'Call for content template': http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2...ntent_template
Modifications/corrections are welcome .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Here is a draft of a possible 'Call for content template': http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2...ntent_template
Modifications/corrections are welcome .
It might be better to change the intended audience options to match the tracks (users/app developers/platform developers).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It might be better to change the intended audience options to match the tracks (users/app developers/platform developers).
Might be, if the summit will be divided in these categories. Personally I like the distinction between users and power usesr, but is a little bit redundant like app devel and platform devel also is.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
  • Fremantle & Harmattan sound like a sensible theme, but you know more than us on whether this'll be a "You got your fremantle devices last week, here's what can be done with them" or "so, fremantle devices have been out for 4 months now here's the state of the ecosystem" or "as you know, we're shipping fremantle devices next month".
I've said it before, so you're probably rolling your eyes thinking "here he goes again..." (or "why doesn't he just shut up") but I believe that this will really have the biggest impact on the event. You can plan all the presentations you want, but depending on the release schedule of the device, people will be attending the sessions most relevant to them based on whether the hardware is in their hands or not.

Frankly, this is really going to complicate the planning of the Summit this year. People might even start watching the Summit schedule as a kind of predictor.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Let's agree on the open questions at
  • Who will organise the schedule? A committee, the organiser, the council?
  • Do we need a call for content?
  • If we have a call for content, what is the schedule for proposals & acceptance?
  • Themes? It seems like the core themes will be Fremantle & Harmattan
  • Schedule - what's the best way to handle planning & putting the schedule online? Wiki again? Or another solution? (Dave says: Having used it in the past, I really like Expectnation, although it's not free software)
I am(of course) also volunteering and propose to use a garage project website for the organizational part. This way we have a little more control and can make things look nice. Also for the talk organization I think it would be nice to have the proposals in some form that makes it easy to republish(latex anyone?).

For a team I think indeed action is really needed and I personally did not do enough yet(so what are the chances or recovery )

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Doing real html you mean? A garage project? Latex? For print you mean?

I really would think it twice before leaving the useful and flexible wiki.

Alright, asking people to fill themselves the slots with their proposals was a bit too heavy. Let's just ask them to list proposals in a linear wiki page following a basic template provided.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by keesj View Post
I am(of course) also volunteering and propose to use a garage project website for the organizational part. This way we have a little more control and can make things look nice. Also for the talk organization I think it would be nice to have the proposals in some form that makes it easy to republish(latex anyone?).

For a team I think indeed action is really needed and I personally did not do enough yet(so what are the chances or recovery )
No dis-respect but can I just say that if you use latex I will shoot you

I have had the pleasure of integrating slides and talk information for the last summit and to say it was a pain in the proverbial is an understatement. I got .pdf's .html's, .jpegs and worst of all I got screen captures (ctr-prscrn) from some of them. For me, if I do get to cover the event again, I would love .jpegs and if your feeling generous, an expected time in your talk that you expect the slide to be 'shown'.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Ummm, not wanting to talk out of place but the event needs a coordinator. A guy (or gal) who is a sole point of contact that will deal with all issues that arise. Last year is was a combination of Quim, c-base, brontide, and myself. I don't think a larger event would cope with such a loose organization.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:

Tags
summit