Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Anyone else getting these things, or just me?

I will post what the survery is when it arrives.
The survey is being discussed in the "Nokia N900 SMS text survey" thread.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
libcherry is very helpful; it does a lot of printfs whenever it collects information. To see them, run "maemo-summoner /usr/bin/controlpanel.launch" and run My Nokia. (Non-relevant information is sent to syslog, AFAIK, through the g_warning macros etc. GLog's default handler in Fremantle outputs to syslog.)

Anyway, here's what I saw it collecting (phone-related), in order of printfs:
Out of these, I think only the MSIN and PublicID is sent. Why? They're the only ones that are checksummed - if that's the information Nokia is after, the information Nokia wants to stay intact during transmission, checksumming it makes sense. Then again...

PublicID is the one that interests me as I couldn't find much information about it on the Internet except that it seems somewhat related to the IMEI, so I guess it's for identification.
Oh Nokia, when did you start taking lessons from the Google Book of Privacy?
"dbus-send --type=method_call --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.csd.Info /com/nokia/csd/info com.nokia.csd.Info.GetPublicId" will print it to the Terminal; however, I've attached a quick program that'll print it in the manner in which libcherry does so.
Attached Files
File Type: gz a.out.tar.gz (2.1 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-14 at 16:31.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
I disagree. Strongly. YOU may CHOOSE to share the information you mentioned
Please read carefully.

I never said that, emphasizing words don't make it so

Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
And they used to make car tyres and rubber boots so ceilings wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Please read carefully, again. Nokia has always been in telecommunications in the meaningful part of its existence (I'm not referring to pre-1900).

Nokia was bought by Finnish Rubber Works, which did rubber. The conglomerate did both telecommunications and rubber. It's reasonable to assume they didn't mix employees.

Nokia doesn't make rubber any more than Ford is a bank.

[QUOTE=qwerty12]
Why would Nokia checksum a SMS, I thought those were integrity maintained throughout the network? I never saw a distorted SMS.

Anti-garbage? Maybe they read my post :P

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
there's this thread. there's a bug report about this. texrat mentioned it in his recent blog post. what is nokia's reaction? they're supposed to communicate. even "not that big of a deal" would be better than this "la-la, can't hear you!".

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Don't understand this myself, it seems like such bad publicity, I'd expect some damage control. Not _all_ that surprised, it's their policy, after all.

It's like they're waiting on something. But what? See if we figure what they sent? Wait for it to die down? Wait to see the wave size? Is this the first time it happens?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Wait for it to die down?
this, probably. which is even more disappointing.

Someone could contact the officier in Finland who monitors these kind of registries of (illegal/nonethical) personal data.
http://www.tietosuoja.fi/26392.htm
I am pretty sure that office will be interessted and will reply and will adress Nokia about the issue.

I haven't upgraded my N900 to PR1.2 yet. Waiting those instructions how to avoid the automatic registration with private information, which I in principle, would not share if asked, or at least not when I do not exactly know what private information is send to the register.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I haven't upgraded my N900 to PR1.2 yet. Waiting those instructions how to avoid the automatic registration with private information, which I in principle, would not share if asked, or at least not when I do not exactly know what private information is send to the register.
I'm waiting too...
Hope those instrucctions come someday....

Meanwhile... could anyone post a modified version of the cherry thing with no nokia phone numbers or not real phone numbers?
It should do the job, right?

Last edited by BLC; 2010-06-15 at 12:42. Reason: Because I can...

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Upon OTA upgrade I got the "terms", actually read all of it, didn't agree to it, looked for the "I do not agree" button and couldn't find it.... No way to revert to the earlier version, either.

Although it sent the secret SMS, I got back the following SMS from Nokia:

Nokia: Your sign-up failed.
See 'My Nokia' in Settings to try again. For more information, visit www.nokia.com/mynokia
Curiosities: As Nokia isn't in my contacts list, and receiving didn't add it, that message is only retreivable through the Conversations app, and no number is shown for it. Selecting the face icon and "call" leads to the phone app which then says "this contact's application does not support calls".

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
I'm waiting too...
Hope those instrucctions come someday....

Meanwhile... could anyone post a modified version of the cherry thing with no nokia phone numbers or not real phone numbers?
It should do the job, right?
I hope some people can modify the wiki page I started at "PR1.2 compulsory My Nokia subscription", especially the bottom "How to avoid the compulsory registration while upgrading to PR1.2" section. I can't do much more work on that myself at the moment, as I'm avoiding PR1.2 too!

I expect "touching" the .cherry_state file before upgrading should be sufficient, but it seems a little fragile as flashing eMMC or "Restore original settings" in the Settings app, and maybe other things, will cause that file to be deleted.

I expect you can delete /usr/bin/cherry and the Settings applet as root (after booting for the first time with no SIM) to be more sure of avoiding this, although they might reappear with a package update.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: