Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Another successful update here.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Update on N810W went smoothly, no bugs so far, thanks for the quick respones.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
another thumbs up from a n800 user.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
OK, maybe this is a lame request from someone who hasn't followed the Diablo community SSU, but I can't figure out if it provides anything useful for someone whose N800 tablet and software appear to be working just fine, and who isn't doing serious hacking of it. (But who uses it all the darn time.) Is there a layman's explanation of what will be different/improved compared to good old OS 5.2008.43-7?

If it made MicroB faster or made it less likely to get the occasional brain-farts that leave the tablet frozen for minutes and then fix themselves (what is the unit doing during those minutes?) -- then I'd be interested. My tablet isn't perfect but it is overall darn stable, versatile, and useful as it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ East of England
Successful update - n810

The Following User Says Thank You to wipeout140 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Is there a layman's explanation of what will be different/improved compared to good old OS 5.2008.43-7?
I had the same question. For the long answer, you can look higher in this thread for lma's wiki doc that lists all the fixes. If any of those were a problem for you, the community SSU you will be a godsend.

I was a little disappointed, b/c AFAIK none of those bugs affected me and the bugs most annoying to me are apparently not the kind that can get fixed by the community SSU effort. So, the biggest benefit from my standpoint was that the community SSU installed rotation support. That means that, after installing the community SSU, you can install advanced-backlight, turn off the Display and Sound icons, and have an easy way to switch to portrait mode. I use portrait mode for some solitaire games and better viewing of portrait web images. You could get rotation support installed before, but it was ugly.

Also, community SSU will probably be the way any future community patches are distributed. So, it's the future of Diablo, man!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
I can't figure out if it provides anything useful for someone whose N800 tablet and software appear to be working just fine, and who isn't doing serious hacking of it.
If you are not affected by any of the bugs fixed (see changelog), then not much. The main enhancement so far is the screen rotation support (but you may already have this installed independently anyway). There are also some more minor enhancements to busybox and PDF viewer which make life a bit easier, probably not the highest priority for most people but they were for me, so there ;-)

Going forward, what would you like to see included (keeping in mind that non-free components are out of scope for obvious reasons)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
If it made MicroB faster or made it less likely to get the occasional brain-farts that leave the tablet frozen for minutes and then fix themselves (what is the unit doing during those minutes?) -- then I'd be interested. My tablet isn't perfect but it is overall darn stable, versatile, and useful as it is.
It's mostly swapping. Not enough RAM.

N810 WME updated OK.

The Following User Says Thank You to murabel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Mexico
N800 here, everything it's running fine, no problems

The Following User Says Thank You to rafaelsemx For This Useful Post:

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo