Closed Thread
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
I think it's better to get the announcement out sooner rather than later, because it gives everyone an opportunity to get involved or at least a chance to speak up before the concrete work is done.
But, to get involved in what? Is there a clear roadmap of the merging process? A tech architecture diagram of how the systems are integrating from both camps? A roadmap (or even a proposal) of the management of communities?

And if we, as a community, come up with all that... is there any guarantee it won't be ignored, tossed aside or steamrolled by Intel-Nokia? (I can soooo see them bringing Nvidia in...)

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Ok, I'm speaking up. Growling up, even (not often the bear growls). Whatever Meego is/becomes it should continue the maemo tradition of including ordinary end users, enthusiasts and average bears as members of the community. And I will vote for whichever council member includes that in their manifesto.
QFT.

If they don't care about end users, they won't have end users.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've spent the last hour doing more thinking than talking (yeah yeah, rare I know).

I had decided to run for council again as I said mainly for transition and project continuation/closure purposes. Unless the idea of a council is utterly killed by some entity with clout, I will still do so.

The idea of melding with a new organization is frightening to me in some ways, due to the sheer unknowns. On the other hand it would be exciting to help solve some of those... which was exactly my motivation years (!!!) ago in setting up an internettablettalk.com account and saying "Hi, I'm with the tablet program, what can I do to help you guys?". That was an unknown, too-- difference being I feel I've now built up trust with hundreds of people that supported my goals, and I theirs. There's a status quo to dissolve now and a new one to build. The former causes anxiety; the latter stimulates the creative juices.

No matter what the outcome, I'm going to stick around and try to bring closure to my (too many) pet projects. Help wind things down if nothing else. I owe that to the community that put me in the position of being part of something grand. If it had not been for that, I might not have ever seen Amsterdam (I don't get out much) and I am still glowing from that wonderful experience.

Some of those projects, like Brainstorm improvements, the Maemo User Experience Framework and even community outreach may very well have a place at the MeeGo table. I hope so, and hope to help out if nothing else.

Bottom line I want to thank everyone here for putting up with my madness. No matter what, my goal was to help you any way I could.

****, I just got all misty-eyed... gotta go

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Texrat, I think I can speak for lots of us when I say that your hard work, and words of wisdom, is much appreciated, and we hope you keep fighting the good fight!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
And if we, as a community, come up with all that... is there any guarantee it won't be ignored, tossed aside or steamrolled by Intel-Nokia?
There is never guarantee. But there was no guarantee before either. So, why don't we try?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44581

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I had decided to run for council again as I said mainly for transition and project continuation/closure purposes.
That is good news. I'm a bit worried about the merger because it's clearly a big upheaval, but I'm optimistic too; we're all familiar with Nokia's less than open approach to development and community relations (the older members only more so), and Intel have pretty good form on that with a lot of their existing free software work. If we can keep some of the existing Maemo voices in a position to talk to (or shout at?) folks at within the new project, this could be a real opportunity to move things in the right direction.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Let's keep this thread very council-focussed. For community discussion, we should carry that on in RenegadeFanboy's thread, What are the valuable Maemo parts to bring to MeeGo?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Quim's post on maemo-community is relevant:
Interesting, however I'm not sure what Valério was supposed to do with this info except sit on it. Briefing the whole council would make more sense (because at least then they can discuss something useful amongst themselves), this feels more like informing for the sake of being able to say they informed (or perhaps because that was the best they were able to get).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Interesting, however I'm not sure what Valério was supposed to do with this info except sit on it. Briefing the whole council would make more sense (because at least then they can discuss something useful amongst themselves), this feels more like informing for the sake of being able to say they informed (or perhaps because that was the best they were able to get).
Can you imagine the briefing?

"Maemo is going to be merged with Moblin into MeeGo. You can't tell anyone. Have a nice day!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, he was supposed to be a community proxy and be involved, but it sounds like it didn't work out that way.

Closed Thread

Tags
council