Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
What is a dedicated tab button, pipe, etc? Is there another device which has that?
The E90 for one.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Let's not proclaim the end of the world just because some of our favorite command line characters aren't on the keyboard (which most of the public would never use anyway). I'm sure there's an easy way to input them. Just wait until Fremantle is released.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The E90 for one.
I don't understand. Is it just tab button? What is meant by "pipe, etc..."?

http://www.google.com/search?q=E90+p...ient=firefox-a

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The pipe is this character here: |
It is often used in Linux to redirect output from one command to another.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Let's not proclaim the end of the world just because some of our favorite command line characters aren't on the keyboard (which most of the public would never use anyway). I'm sure there's an easy way to input them. Just wait until Fremantle is released.
As long as it's not "fixed in Harmattan"...

@SD69: pipe is |

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The pipe is this character here: |
It is often used in Linux to redirect output from one command to another.
Thanks. Why is it on E90 (a non-linux device)?

I have no clue why it would be on the E90. Completeness?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks. Why is it on E90 (a non-linux device)?
Because | is used in various operating system (yes, even dos, I don't know about symbian) to pipe the output of a command as input to the next one.
Or you can use it as a column separator in ascii art (much better that an uppercase i).

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Or you can use it as a column separator in ascii art (much better that an uppercase i).
I think this displays the awe-inspiring completeness of the E90, including provisions for ASCII artists.

I guess if I keep it short, my subtle comments can be picked apart. haha.

The pipe key was just an example, I actually usually it fairly rarely. I do find Home and End to be rather useful (terminal). Non-English/Non-Roman-alphabet speaking people should be infuriated.

It was just the point of Nokia headed in the phone direction rather than mobile computer.

Perhaps they think UMPCs and eventually MIDs would corner the market and they likely want to push smart phones. I'm sure they see this as an opportunity to try Linux instead of Symbian to compete with Apple, Palm, etc.

I laugh at my friend's N97 and it's feeble touch-screen keyboard (T9 seriously?!) But at least it's better than the N95 (same friend has a couple versions of it).

I hope those of you that purchase this device will be elated.

As for me, I will not. I will not purchase another NIT until they get it right. Perhaps the fabled RX-71 will be that device, if not I'm sure another company can earn my money.

[Oh and I have another thing to rag on about concerning the n97 (too early to tell what they did for the RX-51) - the N810 has a built-in stylus holder, genius (yes Palm and others did this years ago), does the N97...no, they include a stylus the size of permanent marker with a "convenient" cellphone strap. hah. what a kick in the face.]

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2009-08-09 at 14:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post: