Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I can't name any offhand, either, but others have reported abandoned projects with no access to the latest source...
The only one I can think of is the maemo-specific ruby bindings (see thread starting here). Somewhat ironically, it used to be on garage according to ohloh :-/

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well, yeah, but the context here is open source apps (or is it?). No amount of enticing or forcing someone to go through garage will help with closed apps or components :-)
I was talking about open source. There are a number of cases where you go the way of blobs, like when autobuilder does not support something, or for other advantages (i.e. I routinely use PyZipFile in my PyQt projects to save users some space and speed up loading times).

In the meantime I hope no one is seriously suggesting that we are supposed to stop using apps written (mainly) by one author just in case that person gets bored and goes away. Or that we should somehow force extra developers to join such projects (and the projects to accept them). Both attitudes would be borderline mental disorders IMHO.
No, no, nothing alike. Not *force* but *ease* the process of picking up orphaned or joining projects. When you go to a project, you don't have a clue who does what, does it have a BDFL, who are the developers, who the power users, what are the tech parameters, etc, etc. It just saves a whole lot of time if you can find that out quickly, and increases the possibility of people joining in, which is the bottom line.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ima: please try harder to avoid forcing the topic to extremes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There are a number of cases where you go the way of blobs, like when autobuilder does not support something
Ouch, I had no idea :-( These cases should be filed in bugzilla, forcing developers to resort to that is broken.