....yawn....

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Personally, I rather like Android. I don't have as many qualms about it as most of you seem to have--especially since I eventually realized how similarly Maemo and Android were in terms of the same closed drivers/software built AROUND all the open source that prevented the community from bugfixing and customization.

BUT--that said, I would rather see MORE competition than less. Just as a diversity of Linux based distributions eventually led to better and better Linux operating systems and GNU tools, just as Linux operating systems competed with other open-source operating systems, just as operating systems in general had to compete to produce better and better operating systems than in the past, we now need something like a diversity in the embedded operating system market for things like handset phones, tablets and other mobile and appliance devices to promote the evolution of these devices to fit our needs best.

I just hope Nokia's hardware division wakes up and competes. Also, their customer service and support divisions as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I must say this is the worst topic I have ever seen. Nokia practically started Meego..

It's like asking if Apple should use Android instead of iOS..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
IMHO, Nokia in the next 2 years will produced at lesat one Android phone. Probably to see the interest of the public ragard this OS.

All it is possible in my opinion. And AFAIK, there is a plan for MeeGo to became a platform in order to run Android apps and WP7.

But i don't remember the font.

Nope. There's a reason why (some) people choose this platform despite Android existing. Granted Android has improved alot since then, but there are still some issues that need to be worked out.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

No, no one cares for the "property" libc of google. Android is not Linux. Maemo is Linux. That said I think there is nothing else to discuss.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acvetkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by acvetkov View Post
No, no one cares for the "property" libc of google. Android is not Linux. Maemo is Linux. That said I think there is nothing else to discuss.
Maemo is not Linux. LINUX is Linux. Maemo is a distribution. Android is a distribution. They BOTH took the Linux kernel, added stuff on top and around it.. BOTH of them threw in closed-source drivers.. BOTH of them threw in closed-source applications that you can't even fully remove without ending up with a broken operating system.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
If they did I'd never use a Nokia device again

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vode For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Shady 91' you don't know your *** from your elbow.

Regardless, Nokia will go down in flames before they introduce an Android handset. Nokia pride themselves on innovation and progress, being tired to a single operating system forces them to keep inline with whatever google supports, both software (in API's and such) and hardware in capabilities. It would be an extremely dumb move to but yourself into that corner. Other manufacturers, HTC et al, can do this, because they're extremely small, bring out generic phones. If you want to be a game changer, you need to hold the reigns, or at least have a foundation for a lot of flexibility, something that Android does not, and probably never will offer.

That, and in my opinion, Android is flawed by design. (I don't like the idea of an entire OS running in a Java VM) ...

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
thats a valid arguement and i think that Nokia *should* have used android!

You all know maemo is not the most end-user-friendly OS out there and also, Symbian has become a reason for mockery.
So if i was in Nokia's shoes i would release a few android phones to fill the void between the failed N97(that pratically proved symbian concept as a failure) and the first MeeGo phone, whenever it may be(possibly oct-nov).
Thats a LONG time in terms of technology, a full year? between mass market flagship products? even if you take the N8 thats too long!

With that in mind, nokia keep releasing low-end product for the less-advanced communities around the globe thats what possibly keeping their income at the moment but they should have taken a look at HTC strategy of never being behind. new GPU? lets make another phone, faster CPU? lets make another! HTC has practically a phone for everyone, nokia doesnt!

As a company with great assets they should have taken advantage of Android in that way of NOT being left behind.they could, with little effort, release an android phone with custom UI by using the many available hardware configuration around or their own, trust me they have plenty.

Most people dont have the same awareness and concept about nokia anymore, they dont think about it as a high-end company.
Android could have been a tool in achiving just that. Now they have all their eggs on MeeGo basket and we just will have to wait and see

Last edited by ironm8; 2010-07-08 at 22:03. Reason: got meggo?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post: