Notices

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by stobbsc View Post
I'm not saying it's not easy, but it is easier for 90% of people if it's in a package and we just need to do and install..
I think it's about as packaged as it ever will be.

To play, just install fheroes2-demodata from application manager and then click the icon in the application menu, as you do with other programs. Everything is included.

If you want the complete game to be packaged, you'd have to ask 3DO to make an N900 version for you. As it is now you have to copy the game data yourself as it is not free and thus can't be included in a package in the repositories.

If you want the complete game installed all you have to do is copy the content from DATA and MAPS content to the correct places (/opt/fheroes2/files/data and /opt/fheroes2/files/maps) and it's ready to go. No config editing needed.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Yeah I also get that issue, when the whole map is shown, it's very strange

My Blog

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mece View Post
If you want the complete game installed all you have to do is copy the content from DATA and MAPS content to the correct places (/opt/fheroes2/files/data and /opt/fheroes2/files/maps) and it's ready to go. No config editing needed.
I think what he / she / it meant is that you need to get the data to the phone somehow. However if you do it via PC on a windows platform you have no access to the OPT folders. So have to fiddle around somehow, either by adjusting the cfg or by copying the folders within the N900 to the right place. Both which is not easy for the 'common' user.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by SirKline View Post
I think what he / she / it meant is that you need to get the data to the phone somehow. However if you do it via PC on a windows platform you have no access to the OPT folders. So have to fiddle around somehow, either by adjusting the cfg or by copying the folders within the N900 to the right place. Both which is not easy for the 'common' user.
Yes that is true I suppose, but I don't have a good solution. I guess the natural thing would be to default the data folders to MyDocs, but since that really hurts the performance of the game, and installing stuff directly to MyDocs from packages is generally a bad idea, I don't really feel it's a good idea. Perhaps I could use two folders to look for files, having two different paths by default. That way a non-techie persons could install the files to MyDocs if they want.

Thoughts?

PS "he / she / it" LOL
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
I think it's about as packaged as it ever will be.

To play, just install fheroes2-demodata from application manager and then click the icon in the application menu, as you do with other programs. Everything is included.

If you want the complete game to be packaged, you'd have to ask 3DO to make an N900 version for you. As it is now you have to copy the game data yourself as it is not free and thus can't be included in a package in the repositories.

Thanks for that.
Would it work if I people followed this method and copied the demo files to the same locations?
I actually have it running from the old manual installation process.
I'll try this way this afternoon :-)

My Blog

Perhaps when you install the package it if gave you access to a sh file that did the copying for you , all it would require would be for you to have the files in the correct place in MyDocs and then they would be moved to opt or is this not possible?

My Blog

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Stupid question, but isn't this the same game that came out in '96 or so?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Stupid question, but isn't this the same game that came out in '96 or so?
Well, it's the same data, but it's a rewritten open source engine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirKline For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by SirKline View Post
Well, it's the same data, but it's a rewritten open source engine.
Thanks. Just was thinking about this game, couldn't quite remember who owned the rights.

Is everyone getting the whole map showing when ever they play a standard game now.
It seems to be doing it everytime :-(

My Blog

Tags
fheroes2, homm2