Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Since Exult is now in extras-testing I decided to post a new thread about it in order to be more visible. There are two packages - Exult and Exult Digital Audio (I left Exult Studio in extras-devel, its there if someone needs it).

Exult is an open source engine for playing Ultima VII on a variety of modern operating systems and environments. The Black Gate (including Forge of Virtue) and Serpent Isle (plus Silver Seed) are both playable to the end.

Obviously you need the original game files to play.

The installed Black Gate and Serpent Isle files should go in MyDocs/Games/exult/BG/ and MyDocs/Games/exult/SI/ folders.

Press H in the game to get a list of the default key mappings. Q = Escape.

Screenshots:

Black Gate Title Screen

Animal Cruelty allowed

If you like the software, please spare some time for learning how package testing works at http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software
If application passes every point required in http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/QA_Checklist , give it thumbs up!

Last edited by Bundyo; 2010-07-12 at 17:43.

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
For some reason I just started drooling.

THANK YOU.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Excellent! Thank you!

Seriously? I mean come on.. you drop this out on me and I've sent my phone in for repairs! Oh the agony, the anguish. You jerk!

All kidding aside, this is AWESOME!

I was thinking for a long time that I wanted to 'port' over xu4, Ultima 4 is still my favorite of the Ultima series.

I wish the engines for 5 and 6 were out there and in a playable state as well.

There is such a great amount of game projects for Linux, it's great to see one of my favorites being ported to N900.

slaapliedje

Ultima 6 runs great with DosBox (cycles set to 12000) if you turn of the music, which is still choppy. But as it just cycles through the game with no real function, you may just play the music files through your media player. Multitasking rules. And you dont need a mouse to play, so no sync issues.

For those having no music: I changed midi to GS (not GS127) in the menu and ingame to FMSynth and it worked.

This is just beatiful, thank you SO much. How am I supposed to work today.

Last edited by park; 2010-07-08 at 13:20.

The digital music package should work too, though its rather large - 37MB.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by park View Post

Ultima 6 runs great with DosBox (cycles set to 12000) if you turn of the music, which is still choppy. But as it just cycles through the game with no real function, you may just play the music files through your media player. Multitasking rules. And you dont need a mouse to play, so no sync issues.

For those having no music: I changed midi to GS (not GS127) in the menu and ingame to FMSynth and it worked.

This is just beatiful, thank you SO much. How am I supposed to work today.
I always was more of an Atari ST or Amiga user, Dos can be a pain, but yeah, I've played Ultima 6 under it, though haven't tested it on the N900. Good to know it works well. The only game I tried under DosBox on the N900 was Daggerfall, which while it loaded, was unbelievably slow.

slaapliedje

P.S. Thought I'd share some fun I had with Ultima 6. Way back in '92 I had an Atari Mega STe with 2MB of RAM. When I upgraded it to 4MB, I decided to test a theory. So I created a 2MB RAM disk and installed Ultima 6 onto it (on the ST it was a direct EGA port, but since it didn't need as many drivers as the Dos version, it was half the install size) and played the entire game out of RAM. That was so AWESOME and fast. Good luck in getting enough RAM to do that with a modern game.

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Ah so cool!!!

But, what about Ultima 8?

Btw Bundyo - Thanks man

@efekt

Well, you have to wait to reimplement the engine of the ultima 8, the pentagram, is finished.

Pentagram is playable, will take a look on it later.