The "us vs them" has already happened if you remember the DPAD, screen size, etc discussions.
And like I said I don't want the Nokians that are just voluntarily posting in their spare time to be exposed or something.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The problem with discussions like this is they tend to polarize quickly and stay that way... : /

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I'm against it for Nokians - they shouldn't feel like every word they say could be misconstrued as an official Nokia stance.

However, council members already do advertise themselves by convention in the signature (and I believe should continue to do so).

It's interesting that during the last "wah, the council are evil" round it was suggested we stop advertising ourselves as it made what we said seem more "official".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I'm against it for Nokians - they shouldn't feel like every word they say could be misconstrued as an official Nokia stance.

However, council members already do advertise themselves by convention in the signature (and I believe should continue to do so).

It's interesting that during the last "wah, the council are evil" round it was suggested we stop advertising ourselves as it made what we said seem more "official".
Well shouldn't you be official? You're after all elected to represent the community.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
But isn't this all a bit just putting things under the carpet ? I mean, Nokia badge or not, council sig or not, you'd all still have the same responsibilities and rights. We're already past at least one round of community badge-stripping (remember the user title discussion we had on itt ?). At one point you have to decide the benefit of showing who's actually who outweighs the potential downside of someone being taken TOO officially. Especially with the increasing influx of new users - it shouldn't really be a game finding out who the different people are, who you should pay more attention to or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
On futher thought it might be interesting to have different groups (badges if you wish) people could apply to, to signal their interests and status, not unlike what launchpad does. (Maemo user ? developer ? Council member ? Nokian ? Summit participant ? Country ? Qt ? GTK ? Games ? Favorite apps ?). That way even Nokia folks wouldn't stick out with blue names/badges as a sore thumb. No idea how this fits policies or if it's technically doable. Just an idea. If there is interest I'll post this in brainstorm. If not, feel free to boo me off-stage

EDIT: For those unfamiliar with launchpad bragging rights, this is how it looks there (not saying t.m.o. has to look anything like this, just demoing the idea).
Attached Images

Last edited by attila77; 2009-09-08 at 20:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Odds are the different opinions come from different parties... but you knew that.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Well shouldn't you be official? You're after all elected to represent the community.
But not to tell the community what to think. Am I going to post in any way differently after the next election? I don't think so.

The election gives the community a chance to say "this person speaks for us about matters community, developmental and organisational". It's not "this person is our boss".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
But not to tell the community what to think. Am I going to post in any way differently after the next election? I don't think so.

The election gives the community a chance to say "this person speaks for us about matters community, developmental and organisational". It's not "this person is our boss".
Yes exactly. It's actually the other way around, by voting you in, the community is your boss. But you still have to separate your personal opinion on the issues with that of the community. You have to argue for the benefits of the community, that's how I see it.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
But you still have to separate your personal opinion on the issues with that of the community.
I disagree. By electing us the community is, in essence, saying "Yes, I agree with your views and your opinions and I'd like you to represent me." I believe my own opinions about the community, Nokia and the platform are a large part of the reason I was elected, so I choose to act on those opinions in fulfilling my role as a council member.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: