Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'll look into the keyboard thing. I don't like to replace batteries though, its another point of failure and they keep costing money (and bad for environment). I'm also afraid the keyboard won't be supported well, while the Nokia SU-8W goes for approx 90 EUR which is a lot of money for a simple keyboard.
Get a USB keyboard.. no Batteries. For an N810 you need a F-F USB Coupler.. $3-$5.. and flip it into host mode (search around iTT). Acts just like a USB keyboard in a desktop.
Well, that's one option; of course, then it drains the none-too-large battery of the NIT, instead. I'd just go with one of the dedicated OTG adapters, or if you're permanently dedicating the keyboard, replace the keyboard with a OTG pigtail. (Providing shipping from Canada to the Netherlands doesn't kill you...) Either way, you'll need the mini-micro pigtail, but to me that still beats the Nokia cable and a Lesbie adapter.

I've got two BT boards: an iGo BT, which is nice for walking around on account of the rigid locking, but is insanely cramped. I've also got a Palm 3245WW, which is a full 5-row, and works better on a desk. (The iGo rocks back and forth, as the ends are not supported.) Both of them work fine; I'm not sure what sort of support you're concerned about.

How does an OTG adapter take any less power than the Lesbie? You still need to power the USB keyboard which will drain the battery of the NIT. I don't see that as a "better" option?? Just same option with different dongles... What am I missing? The reason I went the Lesbie route is $5 for a lesbie or $20+ for a OTG Adapter/Mini-Micro converter.. more money and I saw no gain..

I think the only way you can avoid the battery drain is a powered USB hub .. either powered via Battery (back to batteries) or the Wall (in which case you could just plug in the NIT).
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

No, the BT was the option that avoids that; the OTG adapter eliminates fooling with software (so I can connect the keyboard and start working without un-fullscreening), and reduces the amount of cable to manage.

Sorry for the confusion.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ha! Lesbie adapter. I am SO using that term from now on.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
As I'm building my Easy Debian Final image, I'm making backups along the way.

Here is a Debian Lenny root filesystem, suitable for chroot (a dedicated partition or an empty image file), all set up for installing lots of software with no hassles. Locales are installed and I've hacked and pinned hal and dbus, so they won't cause you any problems.

The tarball is quite small, relatively speaking, only 54 MB.

basic-debian-chroot-fs.tar.bz2

EDIT: Please note, you must run "apt-get update" after chrooting and before continuing.

I have included fatalsaint's repository (and key) in this version, too.

This version also has the default distro set to "Lenny" so, unless the program is not in Lenny, apt-get will always download the "safer" Lenny version.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-09 at 17:18.

Here are the chroot scripts that I'm using in Easy Debian Final. There are a couple of added speed hacks, some OpenOffice-related vars, and some other tweaks.

The /usr/bin/debbie script that was heavily modded by Benson is included.

This also includes the closechroot and synchroot scripts. They have proved very useful to me.

The .chroot file has a couple of example lines added for the image file. They are actual Debian partitions on my system

I've also attached a copyright notice and a GPL header to /sbin/debian, the core chroot script. Just to make it more like a Real Application. Benson, if you'd like some credit here, speak up!

If you use these scripts, especially /sbin/debian, in your own projects, please give some credit, and remember, the GPL requires that you make the modified code GPL as well.
Attached Files
File Type: gz chrootscripts.tar.gz (3.4 KB, 144 views)

I'm fine with GPL for whatever I've contributed, but kinda like having things on a "no-credit, no-blame" basis. Thanks for the offer, though!

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I will likely include this GPL in Cdeb2 when i release it, since it does use a hacked-up version of debbie (now cuser) and synkchroot (now csynk). Even if the other 90% of the code that makes up cdeb2 was written by me .

Btw, i'm allmost rety to release cdeb2~ still am doing some final tweeks here and there, also i am still working on image support.... But it won't be long before it is complete.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

I must say...i tries this again today with deblet and lxde... running maemo side by side with debian really is the best of all worlds. Mplayer even worked in debian lol...full screen and all. Definitely missing something for the wm on deblet.

Good job again qole..these scripts are quite cool.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
FVWM/multi-Xomap
Separately, and if Darken doesn't beat me to it, I may be releasing an independent script-up for running a second N+1th Xomap on a second N+1th VC, and using native FVWM (with an N800-friendly config) on it. (If Darken beats me with the release, I'll just sit back and gripe about his... )

This is a separate project with no chroot required, more like PB's KDE, but much less ambitious. It does provide a dandy place to run some chroot apps, though, hence its mention here.
Any movement here? I'm curious about the whole chvt + xomap :1 thing... I'd like some help here, actually.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian