Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Reggie, are you aware of how things look like with single sign-on vBulletin-Drupal?
I haven't seen this (I'll check though) but I've seen one an SSO with OpenID and vBulletin. I think the main MeeGo site supports OpenID now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I haven't seen this (I'll check though) but I've seen one an SSO with OpenID and vBulletin. I think the main MeeGo site supports OpenID now.
OpenID would have the added benefit that people could transfer their identities from other sites too, not only from maemo.org and meego.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
We're discussing the decision to go with Drupal for the primary CMS as we speak, actually. . . .
uffff saw that. I really don't want to add more posts to meego-dev. Hopefully the meego-community list will be fixed as soon as we get in PST decent times.

Anyway, the argument to go for a specdialized forum tool makes sense regardles of the CMS and vBulletin has proven to be useful. I wonder if anybody will have a strong opinion about the proprietary license.

The single sign-on should be in place before starting though, don't you think? Otherwise we are just creating future hassle merging accounts. Share your ideas on this, please.

And transferring all this Talk content and users under meego.com........ I really don't know. Between smelly and scary.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Is there a possibility to "link" to the same vBulletin from many sites? What I'm imagining is that talk.meego.com and talk.maemo.org share some portions, for example Community, Platform and Development. talk.meego.org forum would only show these and possibly some more MeeGo related sections, while talk.maemo.org would have what it has now.
I've tried that before and it just became messy since it's heavy on hacking the forums registration table.

What would work however is for me to internally query posts information for karma purposes from different forum databases, if ever that comes into play in the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

The single sign-on should be in place before starting though, don't you think? Otherwise we are just creating future hassle merging accounts. Share your ideas on this, please.

And transferring all this Talk content and users under meego.com........ I really don't know. Between smelly and scary.
Single sign on for meego.com is essential Don't let's go down the road of multiple log-ins again. Please.

I wouldn't attempt to suck all the people (let alone all the posts! ) from here accross for a number of reasons. One is technical: horrible task to do, and I would hope we'll get a better structure in a new place where we can start from scratch.

Secondly, I actually think there is value psychologically in asking people to 'sign-up' for the New Thing. (Interesting to see who already has. )

Thirdly, I think we may want to think of 'grandfathering' this place for a while for people who don't want to sign up to MeeGo. In the long run, I would hope (and guess) most people will either move across or move elsewhere: it's the actual Activity here (for which read development, bugs, testing, ideas, support) which are atv the heart of this place, for all the Noise. Take that away, and the noise will soon die down. The people will go where the action is: either following it to MeeGo or following those devs who decide not to make the jump.

(I'd go with smelly)

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2010-02-18 at 14:05.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I'd stick with vBulletin - everyone knows it (if they've used other forums before, it's hugely popular and there's probably a good reason for that).

If possible, make this the new MeeGo forum: create a Maemo sub-section, which might become a "Nokia devices" section within MeeGo in future. All existing members can participate in the MeeGo sections as and when it becomes relevant to them.

Since there is going to be some sort of compatibility between the next OS (aka MeeGo) and the existing Maemo5, it makes no sense to split the communities when there is so much potential overlap.

t.m.o. has almost 30,000 registered members, how many Moblin forum members are there? On numbers alone, this community surely dominates and should continue with as little disturbance as possible on meego.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I think we should get *something* going for conversation at MeeGo pronto. So I'll bite the bullet and suggest we ask Reggie to open something with just three main areas right now: community, development and devices.

Then ask people to care enough to register there (or use a t.m.o. log in if that's easy enough for Reggie), and use those spaces to slug out Deb v rpm, vbulletin v drupal, what shape forums, where the summit and what devices. Ultimately we can design this ourselves from the ground up. Lets start with something. Otherwise we're over here and the moblin guys are over there and it's just getting scarier and smellier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
I think what Milhouse suggests makes a lot of sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Looks like Drupal has distributed authentication built in: http://drupal.org/node/312

There is this too: http://vbdrupal.org/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Whatever forum engine would be used, it should start clean. We already have too much noise here, so moving that noise to MeeGo would be, IMHO, a very bad idea.

I would also like to see a restructuring of the forum at the same time. I personally found the one here at maemo.org a bit confusing in the beginning. For example there is N900, Maemo 5 and Application. Which one I should use to find some info for available apps for N900? As I said, it was a bit confusing at the beginning.

Since, as it has been pointed out, MeeGo is not only attracting people from Maemo and Moblin communities, but others too, so the structure of the forum should be as logical and effective as possible. So the structure should be discussed too. I personally would prefer something like this

- Platform/Version X
-- Applications
-- Games
-- Development
--- Framework X
-- Device X
--- Help
--- Complaints (or whatever is the politically correct way to contain whiners/noise )

Yes, I really would like it if there would be a way to contain all these unhappy but very noisy people with too much time on their hands.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego