Notices

So, in another quest to get the most of my trial N800, I am trying to use the Media Streamer. I am assuming, based on the lack of option in the app, that a media streaming server has to be setup, or special hardware. When I run the media streamer, it simply tries to search for "Devices" over and over.... any clues on what to do on the PC side? And, is this streaming app looking for a local media streaming server, or can this be done over the internet?

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
Originally Posted by fermunky View Post
So, in another quest to get the most of my trial N800, I am trying to use the Media Streamer. I am assuming, based on the lack of option in the app, that a media streaming server has to be setup, or special hardware. When I run the media streamer, it simply tries to search for "Devices" over and over.... any clues on what to do on the PC side? And, is this streaming app looking for a local media streaming server, or can this be done over the internet?
I got it working by setting up the UPnP server module in Nero-7. I'm at a bit of a loss though as it only seems to work on the internal home network.

My question is: "What's the use of that?" If I want to listen to music when I'm at home I'd be much better listening to it over the 'real' speakers and sound system rather than the N800's tiny speakers!

Am I missing something? What I would like to be able to do when away from home is to use the N800 and media-streamer to access my home Nero-7 UPnP server over the internet to listen to my music, watch any of my videos, or browse some photo's.

Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible to access your media over the internet, assuming that you know the external IP of your home media server (or router) and your firewall (again probably your router firewall) allows access to your media.

If you have a router take a look at its UPnP support options and please remember, the performance is impacted by quality of the connection, so don't expect much; don't forget security too...

Last edited by iFrank; 2007-02-19 at 05:01.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
1) I use Tversity or Twonky as my main UPnP media servers running on a Windows PC. With these servers set up correctly I am able to connect with Media Streamer or Canola and play served "local and Internet" media on my N800. With Media Streamer I am additionally able to control playback on my Philips SL300i UPnP player connected to my Hi-Fi and TV.

www.tversity.com
www.twonkyvision.de

2) Firewalls, ports, exe's need to be correctly set up on host PC and occasionally the router to ensure visibility of media servers on your network. read the media sever software FAQ and their forum posts for more support in this area, relating to your chosen host OS.

3) OS Firewall and *.exe and Port exceptions for TVersity

With TVersity installed on my XP PC, I need to ensure that TVersities MediaServer.exe is an exception which can operate fully through XP's firewall along with setting port 41952 (UDP & TCP) as an open port through the firewall in order to get TVersity reliably visible. (I do not need to adjust my router settings, as these types of change usual relate to external WWW access, however I did need to enable routers UPnP setting?)

UPnP Canola and/or Media Streamer methods and even pointing N800 Opera Web browser (192.168.*.*:41952/lib) using "open with" build in N800 Media player methods: should all work reasonably reliably with TVersity if your network is set up correctly.

Notes:

Same overall process/method should apply to Twonky and it's related UPnP or web browser features, assuming correct *.exe and ports are allowed through Firewall.

I posted a few posts about using Media Streamer in my blog last year for the Nokia 770 which may be useful reference to new users of Media Streamer i.e. http://mikesl300i.blogspot.com/2006/...back-with.html
http://mikesl300i.blogspot.com/2006/...nokia-770.html
http://mikesl300i.blogspot.com/2006/...a-770-via.html

BTW Media Streamer expects to find UPnP Media Server(s) running on your local network and one must be selected, it will NOT directly operate/interact with the WWW.

Last edited by MikeL; 2007-02-19 at 10:41.

Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
...BTW Media Streamer expects to find UPnP Media Server(s) running on your local network and one must be selected, it will NOT directly operate/interact with the WWW.

This was the answer I was looking for. I did find some free UPnP server software, and got that working, but the fact that the Nedia Streamer does not allow options for where/what to search, WWW streaming is not an option. So I simply setup IIS on my XP machine, added my MP3 folders as the web folders, and then made a pls of my entire MP3 directory, forwaded port 80 to that box, and bam, can now stream my media... I just need to put a password to the external IP now to prevent snoopers