I had this nice post typed up about this 3rd device, but considering the trouble I got into for posting one of the first photos of the N800, I have removed my post. Sorry for wasting your time

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't see how you can get into too much trouble.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by cairn View Post
I'm not the least bit interested in WiMax since it's not likely to hit my area for years yet.
In Canada, WiMax is pretty widespread across the urban centres. To date, I do not know of a WiMax-enabled device that works on the networks here independantly of the bulky modems (excuse my ignorance if there is such a device in Canada). So I would be curious as to how the two Canadian WiMax resellers handle the subscription side of things with a future IT. I just got my N800 2 months ago, but if this new IT is a WiMax-enabled one, and the WiMax subscriptions are reasonable, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat!

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I don't see how you can get into too much trouble.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=3365

Thats the trouble. From this, my "friends" informed me it wasn't a smart move. Within 26 hours, Nokia requested Reggie remove the image, and he honorably did.

Honestly though, I do not want to derail this. Just ignore what I posted and if willing, I will post more info when I reasonably can.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I understand why there's only an "GPS update". Developing a completely new hardware (slideout keyboard? Sim card?) takes time. And the N800 is quite successful, so just bump in one feature at a time (like the Skype firmware), before a whole new model will be released. Maybe WiBro will be the next candy. So time until then is secured with a good running device, consumers are kept on their toes etc. It's business after all.

I was just looking at the N800's FCC documents, that had a 45 day confidentiality request on the photos too. They made the photos public after about a month though, so if this new device follows the same schedule we should see pictures of it at the end of October or the beginning of November.

If a product launch follows immediately after that, it would be just in time for Xmas.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I predict the device
will have...
- GPS
- Better touchscreen tech
- More powerful CPU
- More memory and storage space
- New Micro USB connector
- Wifi + Bluetooth
- Extra buttons
- Higher capacity battery

but will not have...
- WiMAX

I'm pretty excited about this new NIT, but I want to see the full specs before I set aside my $ for it. It's possible that this might be the first of two or three NITs to come our way. I hope there will be a fourth to choose from. I, like many of you would rather have WiMAX than GPS in the new tablet.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

One last thing I noticed on the FCC docs as I went over them today: it shows the software version of the tablet as "0.2007.34-9". The most current firmware release for IT OS 2007 is 4.2007.26-8 (and the prior releases were 3.2007.10-7 and 2.2006.51-6). This doesn't really tell me anything other than that they are running a (the?) new firmware on the soon-to-be-unveiled next-gen internet tablet, but we all already know they're going to release an update "sometime soon". Does anyone else know if there's anything usefully significant in the firmware version numbers?

Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
In Canada, WiMax is pretty widespread across the urban centres.
where? vancouver? toronto? whitehorse? details plz. thx.

Update: nvm. found it: Sympatico & Rogers. thx

Last edited by slider; 2007-09-26 at 20:36.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by cairn View Post
One last thing I noticed on the FCC docs as I went over them today: it shows the software version of the tablet as "0.2007.34-9". The most current firmware release for IT OS 2007 is 4.2007.26-8 (and the prior releases were 3.2007.10-7 and 2.2006.51-6). This doesn't really tell me anything other than that they are running a (the?) new firmware on the soon-to-be-unveiled next-gen internet tablet, but we all already know they're going to release an update "sometime soon". Does anyone else know if there's anything usefully significant in the firmware version numbers?
I might be wrong, but I thought it was the following format:

release number in current year.current year.release week.build number?

I could be wrong.