Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Yes. And DM3730 has definitely faster RAM interface and needs faster RAM than OMAP3530 in N900. I will try to get bogomips from some linux system booting on GTA04@1GHz. Or you ask aunt google, there must be ~2.3 zillion reports and tests out there answering that question.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....election_Guide :

also: http://www.ti.com/product/dm3730

DSP: 520MHz vs 800MHz

POWERVR SGX™ Graphics Accelerator (OMAP3530 Device Only)
Tile Based Architecture delivering 10 MPoly/sec
vs
POWER SGX™ Graphics Accelerator (DM3730 only)
Tile Based Acrchitecture Delivering up to 20 MPoly/sec
H.264-MP/HP

And please don't turn this thread into a discussion about processors (multicore, other architectures, whatever). The DM3730 is FIXED, we won't consider using a different chip. Thanks for keeping noise about multicore and whatnot out of this thread. About all the other questions in post above: they are basically all answered in post#1 - we stay compatible to N900, feature wise and mech-spec wise. Also see GTA04 specs and manual.
so its basically same crappy dsp that is inside n9 and cant decode 720p properly?

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
so its basically same crappy dsp that is inside n9 and cant decode 720p properly?
No, it is evidently a faster DSP and a way better graphics accelerator (double number of polygons/s). Maybe my crappy comparison been too obfuscated to expose this.
Oops, I missed the N9 bit - sorry I dunno about performance of N9. But we don't plan to outperform the latest iPhone7, that's not goal of this project. So please don't rant like this.
/j

[edit] 720p relativises in light of 480-V screen in device and 512i-V max on AV-out, eh? maybe next you complain about no decoding of HD-extreme or 4K, just to scale it down to 480*800

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-23 at 23:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
And what about sound ? I haven't read nothing regarding this.
Maybe something with more grunt ? A class d speaker amplifier(2x2w .low idle power consumption .and maybe upgrade headphone's amplifier?.)? Plenty or rom.
CSSU-T latest version

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
And what about sound ? I haven't read nothing regarding this.
Maybe something with more grunt ? A class d speaker amplifier(2x2w .low idle power consumption .and maybe upgrade headphone's amplifier?.)? Plenty or rom.
Guys (and gals), we HAVE a CLASS-D allready, and it's killing our speakers (which stand way less than 2W) without XPROT plugin in ALSA. And new speakers are not like buying new batteries for your torch, speakers are a complicated business that needs lots of tuning and calculations. See why Bose is famous.

And if you bother to read post#1 again, you probably will spot "stereo line-in" somewhere. And we will do our very best to get real grunt on AV-out for connecting passive speakers

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-24 at 00:00.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
2 areas of enquiry:

How easy do you envisage it being for to swap the board into an almost working n900? What tools would be required? Would it be a slot- and screw-in job or would it require soldering?

We have had mention of one of the common hw weaknesses in the n900, the usb port, but not of the other, the SIM issue ? Is an n900 that has developed this likely to be a good candidate to upgrade? I can't quite work out whether the existing SIM housing is used for the new kit.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
2 areas of enquiry:

How easy do you envisage it being for to swap the board into an almost working n900? What tools would be required? Would it be a slot- and screw-in job or would it require soldering?

We have had mention of one of the common hw weaknesses in the n900, the usb port, but not of the other, the SIM issue ? Is an n900 that has developed this likely to be a good candidate to upgrade? I can't quite work out whether the existing SIM housing is used for the new kit.
You can order complete device and have no trouble at all.

But if you want to buy just a board, then no soldering will be required. You just disassemble the device, put the N900 board aside and assemble it back with new board inside. It will provide its own new SIM housing. No soldering required.

You'll just need a small manual rework to the case in order to fit MicroAB USB socket into the hole made originally for MicroB.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
You can order complete device and have no trouble at all.

Thanks for the quick reply - with at least 1 n900 dieing through the telephony issue, a board is probably all I need.

Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
But if you want to buy just a board, then no soldering will be required. You just disassemble the device, put the N900 board aside and assemble it back with new board inside. It will provide its own new SIM housing. No soldering required.

You'll just need a small manual rework to the case in order to fit MicroAB USB socket into the hole made originally for MicroB.
I'd begun to guess that'd be the case from looking at a disassembly video in the mean while. By slight manual rework, do you mean making the hole a bit bigger? A little bit of filing perchance?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2013-09-24 at 01:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
By slight manual rework, do you mean making the hole a bit bigger? A little bit of filing perchance?
OTG connector in Neo900 is slightly bigger than MicroB in N900, so yes, making the hole a bit bigger.

Look at the section 4.6 (page 25) of http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta0...l_Complete.pdf - it's something similar applied to Neo Freerunner case with MiniUSB hole in order to fit OTG port of GTA04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
other, the SIM issue ? Is an n900 that has developed this likely to be a good candidate to upgrade? I can't quite work out whether the existing SIM housing is used for the new kit.
Those issues are frequently not SIM but modem. I mentioned modem in post#1. Both the modem and the SIM holder will be new ones on your GTA04-NeoN board.
/j

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
How much cheaper than a complete Neo900 do you see a board alone being? Having been made redundant, I can't justify €700 for a new toy^Wtool, but as I already have the case, camera and screen I might stretch to ante up for new innards. I imagine numbers of (pre)orders for the boards are more important in terms of keepng the price down than the rest of the kit...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!