Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
i think we should know what the meaning of 'do it at your own risk'

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Can't confirm - I also use 500-900 limits (all the time) and it changes frequency as it should. BTW, I don't know what You guys got in your device, if looking @ conky gives You constant 900 - Mine is 4-6% @ 500 mhz, when only Conky opened. I occasionally jumps higher, during swap flushes etc, but only for a moment.

/Estel
that is just with conky, and its not constant but alot, watching cpuinfo_cur_freq correctly shows 249600 with rare spikes to 900000 when needed

@majaczek
kernel-config show isn't proper way of measuring current frequency, as process of checking it via kernel-config always make device jump into highest possible frequency. It's not a bug etc - it just show a state tiny fraction of second after invoking kernel-config show, thus, creating overhead that is measured
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@kernel config show
I suppose it can be fixed if frequency is measured silently before the spike, remembered, and displayed at end. It can even include sleep for 100 msec. But yeah it displays most important info and the value can be measured another way if person know how.

@Overheat
my N900 is warm only while charging (temperature on the back case) so it seems overclocking was going happily. I however wonder why it heats on low cpu usage during charging, because before (KP49 default profile) it was cool (not enogh warm to feel) even after overnight charging. Nothing dangerous (it was warm not hot) but I feel device running while charging run low efficient (it was probably some mechanism fooled because voltage meter is integrated with charging metter, so mechanism got high voltage measured and not fixed input enough). It's rather just high charge usage while charger connected - only a bit decrased device life -mostly battery and charging chip.

@Overclock
after tweaking dosbox a bit (overlay, noscale, fullscreen, byhand cpu limits, big mixer buffer, small sound time buffer) and having good overlocking profile upto 900Mhz I can run Another World (VGA, HQ sound) on dosbox (sound limited to 16khz probing while HQ in AW is 10khz) really smoothly (including intro movie) so both given me important boost, so I perhaps may try win3.11/win95 on dosbox or some more recent dos game (although don't know which one because best dos games have remade engines to native compiled for arm so it's dumb to even install it on dosbox). It seems my N900 is capable of much more than I believed once having KP (overclock, VDD) and tweaking apps settings fair. Thanks pali and guys!

PS: some games lock at max despite were running smooth on 600. Does using such apps with overclock feature reduces my device life in a visble way? Should I write some launcher script to swap profiles before running them and swap back after closing to default?

The Following User Says Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Have a question for all those getting more than 24 hours on a single charge:

Are any of you "online" on your instant messaging accounts/services 24/7? Just want to get a baseline on where I have been as far as power consumption on KP50.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by majaczek View Post
my N900 is warm only while charging
That may depend on other factors. Charging batteries get warm. They can get warmer if they're being charged at faster rates (quick charge vs slow charge). Also, if they're charging more, like now you charge at 10% vs before you were at 50%. Finally, batteries age, and as they do so they become less tolerant to charging, including a propensity to get warmer. This could just be a change in how you're using the device, charging it, or an effect of age.

Originally Posted by majaczek View Post
PS: some games lock at max despite were running smooth on 600. Does using such apps with overclock feature reduces my device life in a visble way? Should I write some launcher script to swap profiles before running them and swap back after closing to default?
I've had a couple games do that, even native ones. They were tested and launched expecting a default system, and as such didn't hit a race condition or other resource contention that they would at a faster speed. Happens more than you may think.

Using scripts or a QBW to launch them would probably be just as good as any other solution. I did that for TowerBloxx and it worked just fine. (At 500-900 it would get choppy, at 250-600 it was smooth... go figure...)

Originally Posted by whayong View Post
Have a question for all those getting more than 24 hours on a single charge:
Are any of you "online" on your instant messaging accounts/services 24/7?
I haven't for about 6 months now, and my activity on them was low to start with. But in general I found it was more about how you were connected than what you had running. Running on 2G or wifi was fine; running on 3G drained. I also found that having bluetooth on in some areas (void of other devices) was fine, where in an office setting it was quite draining, even when not being accessed. (Apparently the bluetooth stuff wakes the CPU for most processing needs, which would cause far more battery use...)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Whayong, we just have running what we really need, as mayor rule of energy saving is just not wasting it. On my side I had shortcutd for making camera key software shortcut but it installs also proxymityd which is run all time if any function of it may be needed, so since I don't need additional shortcuts on proxymity sensor I just disabled a panel of options so I have shortcuts on camera button but proxymityd is always off and it would make 10 percent of cpu usage @500mhz if it have to be running.
Same on you disable things you really doesn't need mostly those you won't use anyway (stupid option of one app may suck energy wastefully). To check what sucks most energy just type powertop in terminal and wait for results - the info would be very detailed but most important is list of processes - if only xserver is substantially different from zero it's perfect because it's the one for display and system interface so even it would be almost zero if screen would be off - else you may want identify other programs which suck energy and consider disabling/removing them or just set power saving options and disable modules you won't use. The second important are hardware modules so you would know if switching between 2G/3G would make important changes and same for wifi etc.
Also be sure to have rational settings on each app - checking email every minute won't make you any happier but sucks battery and network usage. You may also consider limit of number of communicators - just using builtin skype is mostly enough or if you don't use skype disable it logging so your favourite one would work mostly solely. Also you won't use communicators while sleeping so temporary logout overnight.
I got about 1.5 days on not fully rational settings, with skype always on while online and medium usage including some usage of university's wifi while some power kernel energy saving options not worked yet, so you surely can get 48H on rational usage and rational settings without charging now, but also don't mind to charge it if it is trivial to (like the time it laying on your home desk).
Notice some poorly written apps or applets may suck lot of energy while they don't really need them (like refreshing screen of non active application or making some heavy request every second. Check if you have any offending apps or if you don't understand it much put output of powertop on forum and ask for help.
Kernel Power is generally only better for your battery since overclock would only trigger on demand (if set up) and there are some tricks to lower batterry usage on both OC and stock frequncies and they are so good you could have better battery life while having KP and overclock than having both stock kernel and stock frequency limit.

Long things short - just check it and if anything wrong ask for help as mostly other apps are problem mostly ones in early test version or needed to run always in background. If you really think there is some problem exactly in KP don't mind showing it here. People are mostly helpful even if it is false alarm but be polite and remember they can help but won't think instead of you.

EDIT: I were ninjad :P

Last edited by majaczek; 2012-05-11 at 21:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Thanks for the reply guys. It is much appreciated. I don't think I have power consumption issues. I just wanted to get a base line from you guys that are seeing 1+ days on what your actual daily usage is.

I'm seeing about 18+ hours of battery life for my usage:

- "stock DSP" from KP50 with limits 500 805.
- no 3G (I have AT&T), so I'm always on 2G and/or wifi.
- don't use bluetooth.
- messenger (gtalk, ym, FB, and Skype) "online" the whole time.

Overall, I'm happy with the battery life I'm getting. It's just the "tinkerer" in me that wants to squeze out more every chance I get.

@Estel

so, Estel, again, any *good* reason to upgrade from v48 to v50?

pfff

grtz
Drax

Drax do not troll. The most important thing is both VDD working perfectly (including when overclocked) which result in lower battery usage.
For more info check changelogs and/or just all things pali, freemangordon, estel and vi_ said (do i miss anybody important to KP?) And try to understand.
It's generally rule of the thumb that if it isn't supposed to make new issues you should just upgrade to latest release version (the one with number only accesible via repository, the test/alfa versions are mostly for testers so while they may be better they are not guaranted stable).
So if you have older KP and you see "KP50 officially anounced" it's mostly time for upgrade and you can see on own eyes what is better. If you don't enable custom options upgrade from elder KP won't generally spoil anything.

Please leave to yourself if you install it or not - you read what is written and then decide or you just believe on "stable releases". If anything wrong you may report your claims here (but think a bit before posting), and if it is indeed something wrong you either may test a fix or just get back to nokia kernel and install elder version of KP you want on top of it.
They already stated what is new and shiny so you mostly should want reading some posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery test, i <3 fmg, i <3 pali, igottaboner, kernel, kernel-power, viva fmg, viva pali