Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
You can use GV in Korea, I use it in Germany for 2 years already:

Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments: Google's GrandCentral now also in Germany (Monday, July 16, 2007)

You need an US IP number, but it's only necessary to complete the signup process an choose your phone number. After it you can forward it to any Gizmo5 account in the world. So you now have two options:
1.) Play with Proxies and get a temporary US IP number for the signup process
2.) Let your friends in the US complete the process for you.
#2 is much easier, since those fake proxies are very slow and it seems that Google can detect Tor proxies now. At least I got the impression from my experiments. But for #2 you have to trust your Google password to another person, at least temporarily until you change it again.
Ah, beautiful! Such an elegant solution. I'm going to edit my instructions to reflect this.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by hornartist View Post
Ah, beautiful! Such an elegant solution. I'm going to edit my instructions to reflect this.
well before you do let me tell you it worked great for me (my best friend did it for me and now i can use it here in korea on my laptop ) but now (after following the break down of each program in your blog i still cant make calls from my tablet... but i think it might have been the fact that my friend entered my skype number for the GV to be set up and i was trying to get rid of skype and be FREE but i guess i'm still stuck...

If you can help me figure out what i can do to just use my tablet it would be a blessing... do i have to use all three programs or can i just use google talk?

thanks,

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-27 at 01:40.

@Jalladin

Just have your friend login to your Google Voice account and go to the Settings and Phones "tabs" and add the Gizmo number which is 747####### and be sure they are logged into the Gizmo account so they can answer and confirm the account, then they can disable/uncheck the Skype #.

Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
@Jalladin

Just have your friend login to your Google Voice account and go to the Settings and Phones "tabs" and add the Gizmo number which is 747####### and be sure they are logged into the Gizmo account so they can answer and confirm the account, then they can disable/uncheck the Skype #.
thank you,

i can actually get into it now ( google voice) since he initially set it up, i'm able to log in (here) now but when i tried exactly what you suggested it wont let me as though that sip doesnt work, because you have to get the call to verify and it's not ringing any where...

Sorry I thought you already had Gizmo set up. You have to have the Gizmo client installed and running on your Nokia tablet. After you have registered an account and logged in, go to Menu>Account>My Profile and scroll down to SIP number and you'll see sip:1747ABCDEFG@proxy01.sipphone.com and it's the 747ABCDEFG part that you need to enter as a phone (and type is Gizmo) into Google Voice. Then you answer the call in Gizmo (accept) and find the Dialpad tab to enter the 2 digit number.

I'm going to get around to writing up a tutorial for...non-US and US-based with no physical phone people soon.

it okay, so i need to redownload the gizmo5 app. thats cool i just though when you mentioned being able to either use the built in internet call program on the tablet. i already have a gizmo account, so your saying i have to download the app and wont be able to use the built in client? sorry to be so misunderstanding but you made it sound like a dream and its a bit tuff to get going

is there any small dif in the app and the one you can download from the site...

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-27 at 02:28.

That wasn't me. Someone else mentioned that. Yes can use the built-in client. But it's a bit buggy at the moment. If I were you, I'd download Gizmo5 and use it activate the account for use with GV. After that, if you want to follow the information in this thread and others to use the built-in client (less resources) and runs in the background better then go ahead. All I'm saying is the Gizmo5 client WILL WORK. While the Nokia client using Gizmo drops audio and such occassionally and requires more initial setup.

kool, thank you for your help ( I've downloaded gizmo5 again ).

Ok, let me get this straight. You guys have figured out a way to use Google Voice to actually do voip similar to skype?

well I personally didnt but yes i followed the steps and it works well, i called my skype from both gizmo5 and dial central (google voice) now my only snag is receiving calls...

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-27 at 03:16.

Tags
free phone service, gizmo, google voice, sunrocket