Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How will the campaign start play out?

1. A new countdown
X. Dirk just open when ready
2. Surprise. Anything is possible

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@flegmatik: Starting to get kind of doubtful about this Qi-thing anyway. Fixed one for my wife and me. A bundle-kit with receiver and charger on dx.com. The receiver was an S4 one that I resolder to switch polarity of the pins.

It works, but the Jolla gets hot as hell. It doesn't feel healthy at all.

@dave999: 1, X and 2.
Ok, seriously, probably X.

Last edited by Larswad; 2014-10-30 at 10:12.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hey people where on earth you get the idea that a new model is going to be available anytime soonish?
This is just wishful thinking IMHO, there has been no announcement whatsoever and AFAIK no work being done on updating the HW platform. And why should there be, the current HW is pretty neat and usable right now.

Maybe in a few years time, when there is something technologically new/exiting/useful available it would make sense to upgrade the HW platform.
With Jolla it is not about getting the newest HW, it is about getting the most exiting SW platform.

Besides, as I speculated in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=449 it well might be possible to adapt the TOHKBD to a new HW interface pretty easily/cheaply.
If they miss showing something new at MWC it almost certainly means they failed to meet their own deadlines. In fact I'd be very worried about their future if they didn't. As for when a new phone would actually be available, who knows.

A few years? Without a new phone next year, Jolla won't have a saleable product.

Exciting software can't come without reasonably capable hardware. Expecting miracles from low end hardware is irrational. Sailfish with a few apps open is anything but a fast or smooth experience on the existing hardware ... and it's only likely to get worse as the level of complexity and resource requirements increase (as per 1.1).

There's every reason to abandon the existing TOH shape, size and fit. It leads to a blocky, ungainly phone with extremely poor environmental sealing. Also it means another completely bespoke package for the phone, which their OEM has to work around. If they share basic physical platform with other phones, or slightly modified, costs are considerably lower and QC issues are unlikely to be as bad.

Besides ... are you seriously expecting Jolla to use exactly the same camera and lens? No? Well you'll need to cut a new hole in all your TOHs for a new camera on a new Jolla phone.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Besides ... are you seriously expecting Jolla to use exactly the same camera and lens? No? Well you'll need to cut a new hole in all your TOHs for a new camera on a new Jolla phone.
no, but is sw development and hw pins are the same (but different position) making new product is super easy, r&d would be very low and prices would drop.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Exciting software can't come without reasonably capable hardware. Expecting miracles from low end hardware is irrational. Sailfish with a few apps open is anything but a fast or smooth experience on the existing hardware ... and it's only likely to get worse as the level of complexity and resource requirements increase (as per 1.1).
I have a feeling we have already been at this before... still I just cannot let picking on your point...

I do not know how you manage to use your device to make it slow?
Mine is fast and smooth regardless how many applications I am running on there. (most of the time under 10 but how many do you usually need anyway?)
Or else we have totally different expectation on what a device should feel like?

There's every reason to abandon the existing TOH shape, size and fit. It leads to a blocky, ungainly phone with extremely poor environmental sealing.
I agree on the environmental shielding. However it would be much more difficult to have DIY's if the TOH concept was fitted as IP-something-protection; I believe probably impossible to manufacture with 3d printers.

About the form factor and look&feel of the device design; I find it beautiful and intrestingly different from other devices whish usually follow the soapbox-design-from-samsung likeness.

Also it means another completely bespoke package for the phone, which their OEM has to work around. If they share basic physical platform with other phones, or slightly modified, costs are considerably lower and QC issues are unlikely to be as bad.
I have no idea what are you talking about here?

Camera could be better, yes of course, but the size/positioning of the camera module could well be same in future models.
(The said future models which will not be released in at least a year, maybe longer.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
no, but is sw development and hw pins are the same (but different position) making new product is super easy, r&d would be very low and prices would drop.
That would certainly be a better situation, and one which ought to be perfectly possible if the TOH concept is retained. Retaining exact size or fit of current TOH would be a disaster for the new phone imo.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

I do not know how you manage to use your device to make it slow?
Mine is fast and smooth regardless how many applications I am running on there. (most of the time under 10 but how many do you usually need anyway?)
Or else we have totally different expectation on what a device should feel like?

I agree on the environmental shielding. However it would be much more difficult to have DIY's if the TOH concept was fitted as IP-something-protection; I believe probably impossible to manufacture with 3d printers.

About the form factor and look&feel of the device design; I find it beautiful and intrestingly different from other devices whish usually follow the soapbox-design-from-samsung likeness.

I have no idea what are you talking about here?

Camera could be better, yes of course, but the size/positioning of the camera module could well be same in future models.
(The said future models which will not be released in at least a year, maybe longer.)
- Quite simply. By using it. Without the GPU idle and ZRAM modules from Warehouse, it's pretty piss poor. What are you comparing it to? The N900? Then I guess it's relatively fast and smooth. The level of freeze, frame drops, general stutter and lag really hasn't been a thing on mid-range and above Android devices (carrier bloatware notwithstanding), iphone or BB10 for a while ... though with the latter there was occasional stutter on earlier versions. The most bizarre thing I find about these people claiming that Sailfish on the Jolla is so fast and smooth, is that they usually also argue that more powerful hardware in the near future is unneeded and would barely offer any benefit. Do they even believe this themselves? Sailfish has 'proper' multitasking, so if you're going to make real use of that or be a power user, you're definitely going to benefit greatly from better hardware ... add Alien Dalvik in on top of this, and an almost bottom of the range Qualcomm SoC and 1GB of RAM is perhaps not all that you could ever want. I don't believe you for a second that your device is "always fast and smooth", unless you're one of the people that swear blind they can see no difference between 30hz and 120hz and never notice frame drops (which are constant on sailfish).

- There is a very big middle ground between IP certification and the environmental sealing that the existing TOH offers. It should be improved on a new device.

- Aesthetically and ergonomically the existing Jolla is a mess. It's a clunky brick with huge bezels and an inexplicably gigantic bottom bezel when the device has no hard or softkeys. Beautiful ... not sure you'll find too many takers outside these forums for that assessment.

- I think it's fairly obvious what I'm talking about with regard to production and design considerations that an unchanged TOH for the next phone would dictate.

- I think we can consider Jolla a dead duck if their new phone isn't on the market by this time next year. I'm pretty sure your confident assertation that it'll be at least a year or longer is not compatible with plans they may have.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-10-30 at 14:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
I think it's fairly obvious what I'm talking about with regard to production and design considerations that an unchanged TOH for the next phone would dictate.
It requires that the outer dimensons of the phone stays same and that the camera, usb connector, etc stays at the same places

Screen can grow (or shrink) a little and better sealing is certainly possible.

But isn't this very off topic for this thread?

The Following User Says Thank You to evk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
What are you comparing it to? The N900? Then I guess it's relatively fast and smooth.
The most bizarre thing I find about these people claiming that Sailfish on the Jolla is so fast and smooth, is that they usually also argue that more powerful hardware in the near future is unneeded and would barely offer any benefit. Do they even believe this themselves? Sailfish has 'proper' multitasking, so if you're going to make real use of that or be a power user, you're definitely going to benefit greatly from better hardware ... add Alien Dalvik in on top of this, and an almost bottom of the range Qualcomm SoC and 1GB of RAM is perhaps not all that you could ever want.
See my numerical calculations bechmarks of NumPy comparing 3 note/netbooks and 6 tablets & smartphones. Jolla smartphone is faster than Nexus 4 in 3 of 4 benchmarks (both using 1 CPU core and Sailfish OS) . In 2 of 4 benchmarks, Jolla smartphone is faster than a Asus 1005HA netbook.

Compare how little RAM Sailfish uses with Android, how little battery drain, etc. Sailfish has many advantages over other Mobile OS.

- I think we can consider Jolla a dead duck if their new phone isn't on the market by this time next year. I'm pretty sure your confident assertation that it'll be at least a year or longer is not compatible with plans they may have.
I also think that Jolla needs to release Jolla 2 smartphone in 2015 to attract new Sailfish users. But not everybody needs/wants to upgrade every year. For example, my Nokia N9 from 11/2011 still works very well, including its battery, multitasking, etc. I also expect to use my Jolla smartphone for some (2-4) years.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-10-30 at 16:18.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What are you comparing it to? The N900? Then I guess it's relatively fast and smooth.
My previous device was N9. Before that I had various Symbian devices.

The level of freeze, frame drops, general stutter and lag really hasn't been a thing on mid-range and above Android devices (carrier bloatware notwithstanding), iphone or BB10 for a while ... though with the latter there was occasional stutter on earlier versions. The most bizarre thing I find about these people claiming that Sailfish on the Jolla is so fast and smooth, is that they usually also argue that more powerful hardware in the near future is unneeded and would barely offer any benefit. Do they even believe this themselves? Sailfish has 'proper' multitasking, so if you're going to make real use of that or be a power user, you're definitely going to benefit greatly from better hardware ... add Alien Dalvik in on top of this, and an almost bottom of the range Qualcomm SoC and 1GB of RAM is perhaps not all that you could ever want.
I have heard that using Alien Dalvik on Jolla makes it slow. That's possible, usually anything Androidish is slow.
I however have not ever used it, so that's an irrelevant thing to me.

I don't believe you for a second that your device is "always fast and smooth", unless you're one of the people that swear blind they can see no difference between 30hz and 120hz and never notice frame drops (which are constant on sailfish).
I have not measured any framerates with the device, how do you do that? Are you referring to some game framerates when running non-native games or something?

There is a very big middle ground between IP certification and the environmental sealing that the existing TOH offers. It should be improved on a new device.
Yes, no argument there, it could be better

Aesthetically and ergonomically the existing Jolla is a mess. It's a clunky brick with huge bezels and an inexplicably gigantic bottom bezel when the device has no hard or softkeys. Beautiful ... not sure you'll find too many takers outside these forums for that assessment.
Opinions differ

I think it's fairly obvious what I'm talking about with regard to production and design considerations that an unchanged TOH for the next phone would dictate.
I have no problem with the current TOH physical interface

I think we can consider Jolla a dead duck if their new phone isn't on the market by this time next year. I'm pretty sure your confident assertation that it'll be at least a year or longer is not compatible with plans they may have.
There are lots of people who like to change their devices often, buying a new generation device every year.
I do not see a point there, as long as the existing device fulfills my expectations and is not broken yet. (I tend to break/wear down my devices in 3...4 years, after that I need to get a new one)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Just a sanity check... are we still on topic? Is it worth branching the concerns about Jolla's hardware quality/performance to another thread?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd