Originally Posted by nirave View Post
Just to let everyone know I'm in the process of setting up an N900 forum.

Help is required so people interested in helping & modding please pm me asap.

A N900 forum outside of maemo.org is just what i need.

I wonder if the geeks will come there and talk down to the users? Telling us we can't have basic **** like an emulator because of possible legal action.

Please email me as soon as it's live

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I think a third division for emulator kiddies might be good, too. If they are put in a pen by themselves with a FAQ, nobody else will have to put up with their entitled and childish tantrums.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I agree with the talk going on here...

The N900 is a jump in the right direction for Nokia. Its got a lot of interest developed on the possibilities it has. Much like when the first iPhone came out. Much to Nokia's advantage, i feel, that by not locking the developer community out they have left the gates open for massive change both in applications and UI.

Even though i am not a developer by any means, I feel the developers need to be able to discuss, showcase and troubleshoot issues out effectively in an open forum. Those of us that dont have the experience can watch and see events unfolding rather than just be given products to test. I also feel that by allowing the consumers to have a say in application development a vital component of an application surfaces: usability. I would love to be involved in the developing the design UI of applications so that the best use can be made for the best applications.

TO sum it up, yes we need separate forums for developers and consumers so people who are going to start looking around for advice and other information can properly address their questions. questions. But I also feel that we need to have collaborative, specialized forums were being a consumer or developer doesn't really matter. the end goals are product development, UI improvements etc....

The Following User Says Thank You to adamatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jonan View Post
...I also agree a little moderation would do wonders here. This place has been unbearable for last two months with every thread devolving into an off topic *****-fest or personal idealogical argument.
Please use the "Report This" feature when you feel it is warranted. It has been almost two months since activity increased to where I'm unable to read every post in every thread.

A reply rating system that hides but does not delete the crap would be great.
I've no idea what's available for vBulletin in that regard, nor am I fully confident that such a system would work well. At Slashdot, for instance, the post ranking system simply traded one set of problems for another, and Engadget appears to be heading the same way.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Please use the "Report This" feature when you feel it is warranted. It has been almost two months since activity increased to where I'm unable to read every post in every thread.

I've no idea what's available for vBulletin in that regard, nor am I fully confident that such a system would work well. At Slashdot, for instance, the post ranking system simply traded one set of problems for another, and Engadget appears to be heading the same way.
I can only imagine what it's like to moderate this forum with the current growth in traffic.

I don't know what possibilities vBulletin offers either, nor what problems they are facing at Engadget, but the idea with "downranking posts into oblivion" is a good one as I assume it requires less interference from moderators. It becomes a peer moderated forum, and even though posts are downranked so they do not appear unless you click on them, they are still available.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The funny part though, is that talk.maemo.org, previously InternetTabletTalk.com, has historically been mostly a user site. Developers--with noteable exceptions, of course--have largely stayed away, communicating via the mailing list and hanging out on IRC. Developers, after all, ofter prefer to be coding, not yakking about trivialities in long, winding threads. Sure, they may drop in to announce a new version of something or help a user who has hit a bug, but they haven't been the ones running up their post counts day in and day out.

Having the site go so quickly from being ribbed by the developers to being seen as "developer focused" leaves me chuckling.
I appreciate that. You have a longer history with this forum than I do.

All developers I've talked to have been extremely nice.

When I was writing the post I started with the word super-user. I adapted my text to fit Maemo Community’s official statement of purpose about the purpose of the Maemo Community in the Intro section which is why I selected the word "developer".

What I had in mind are people who's postings tell people they are stupid for having bought the N900, for having believed sales people, and who want features which obviously aren't part of the N900 etc.

They are in a minority, but it can be intimidating - and maybe that's the intention - for newcomers. Furthermore, I can understand that some of these super users/and or developers (whichever, I haven't been around here long enough to tell who's who exactly) do not want to be bothered with clutter and newbie questions, opinions and so on.

So, how about an update the official statement in the Intro section that caters to both developers, and users?

My proposal is intended to do something, whatever that diminishes the accusations, rudeness and creation of personal vendettas starting among participants on this forum which in the long run benefits no one.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-12-04 at 15:27.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
When I was writing the post I started with the word super-user. I adapted my text to fit Maemo Community’s official statement of purpose about the purpose of the Maemo Community in the Intro section which is why I selected the word "developer".
maemo.org (note: not the talk.maemo.org, a.k.a. InternetTabletTalk, portion) began life as a developer site long ago. It has transitioned to a community site, but not all the signs of its previous, "for developers", life have been replaced. Please feel free to point out outdated bits, suggest rewordings, and, if in the wiki, fix them yourself. Filing enhancement requests against the website component in bugs.maemo.org is encouraged, but it's understood that site can be overly complicated.

As a side note, the term often used here in the past for non-developer community members is "engaged users".

What I had in mind are people who's postings tell people they are stupid for having bought the N900, for having believed sales people, and who want features which obviously aren't part of the N900 etc.

They are in a minority, but it can be intimidating - and maybe that's the intention - for newcomers. Furthermore, I can understand that some of these super users/and or developers (whichever, I haven't been around here long enough to tell who's who exactly) do not want to be bothered with clutter and newbie questions, opinions and so on.
Honestly, I've seen more of that behaviour from other new community members than long time ones, but it is shameful either way. I've deleted posts that clearly stepped over the line, but Reggie established a tradition of a open discussion here, without enforced niceness at all times. We're adjusting as the site grows and evolves, attempting to strike a good balance.

Again, use "Report This" when you see fit. I can't be everywhere.

So, how about an update the official statement in the Intro section that caters to both developers, and users?
Please see "maemo.org Intro page (November Sprint)".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Is this the start of the Eternal September for maemo.org?