I bought Topram 8Gb from eBay couple weeks ago and so far no problems, it's not been in "heavy" use yet though. And no problems with new firmware either

Just use it in external slot if you'd like to get it fried

The Following User Says Thank You to distguitar For This Useful Post:
i have a pny 4x 8gb card in the internal slot and it has no problems. i was thinking about moving it to the external but this thread has gotten me thinking twice.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
My N800 external memorycard did corrupt first time last time. One of my MP3 folders was total mess..

I did format card and copy files back. Too bad I dont have momerycardreader that support SDHC cards and USB cable was really slow.

Using OS2008 latest official version.

I have a transcend 8 gb sdhc and a patriot 16 gb sdhc. The 8 gb is in the internal slot and the 16 gb is in the external slot. I just make sure to unmount the cards as root before removing them to prevent filesystem corruption.

N800 latest OS2008, external slot now unusable! Just copying some files over and it suddenly reported the card as faulty/corrupted... but it isn't and neither are the two other cards I tried in the slot. Checked the slot cover, rebooted but still the same thing :-(

edit: nevermind. Out of frustration I put a bit of extra force on the slot cover and for the first time heard it snap into place. Doesn't explain the original corruption/failure but I'm sure happy that my cards are readable again.

Last edited by muki; 2008-02-19 at 14:06.

I have an N800, bought in January 2008. Immediately updated to OS2008. Originally installed 2 x 4GB MicroSDHC cards (in their SD Adapters) in both slots.
So far, have experienced no problems whatsoever, with moderate to heavy use.
MP3s, Videos, Internet surfing, YouTube-ing, both here and at the office.
Totally blown away by the versatility of the Nokia N800 by the way.
It's my favorite digital companion right now.

Today upgraded the Internal Slot to 8GB. So far, so good. Next time around, will upgrade the External Slot too.

I use only Sandisk MicroSD cards (in all my devices that are compatible), purchased from a reputable online dealer in the UK (picstop.co.uk for the curious).

I wonder if some SD cards might not be entirely compatible with our ITs.
This is based on personal observation with other friends devices seemingly developing faults with their memory cards. In a lot of instances, It turns out to be the card itself - being of relatively dubious origin. Some ebay cards are not what they seem. Others are indeed just fine.

Of course, there may indeed be a problem with OS2008 inadverdently frying the External Card, but I am fortunate in not having experienced this so far.

I have now lost two 2gb Sandisk SD cards to apparent internal slot corruption. These are the basic blue Sandisk cards, both bought from reputable sellers (Amazon and Circuit City) and therefore likely authentic Sandisks.

First failure occurred with up to date OS2008 on an N800 about the first of the year. It had been set up to use for virtual memory. I don''t recall the specific acts before failure, perhaps a "reboot," i.e. power down, power up, but I may have done the reboot because the card failed, trying to make it accessible. After failure, N800 File Manager reported the card was corrupt and was unable to repair. All attempts at reformatting by any means using a PC, a Palm TX, and a camera, all failed to make the card usable on the N800. The best I could get was 1 GB of formatted capacity, 1 GB inaccesible by any means. Possibly usable in the 1 GB, not worth hassling any more.

Bought the second 2GB card. I have the latest firmware for OS2008 on an N800. The latest SD card was only a couple of weeks old, hardly used at all (loaded maybe 500 MB total, so minimal exercise of the card). Not using it for virtual memory. I recall no remarkable incidents before failure. this one is totally gone, unrecognized by any alternative hardware.

Any idea what is going on? This N800 with the current OS2008 seems to be a real 2gb sd card killer, with no explanation I can find (old problems were with OS2007, or cards are only unreadable on the N800 -- my first one lost access to 1 gb on any device). I can find no reports identical to mine -- two cards rendered unusable on any hardware (with the 1gb exception on the first one).

Putting the VM on an SD card is never going to be a good idea. This is why Nokia give you a small card. The OS uses internal the card for 2 purposes afaict: 1) App Manager downloads temp files there - and will fail to download files if it is not present (including badly seated) and 2) virtual memory wants to live there.

I personally put a junky old 256MB MMC card in the internal slot for this reason.

Thanks. I had read, probably here, that VM on the card was risky business, which is why I did not set it up on the second card. It is very helpful to know exactly what the system uses the internal card for -- I have a 512mb card in there now, which is probably enough unless I go big on video. I had stuck a 128mb in there for a while with no perceivable effect on performance. It would be nice to have a big card in there for video and photos, but unless someone figures out the problem, and assuming smaller cards are safe, smaller cards it will be. I don't think bad seating has ever been my problem. The second toasted card freezes any Windows based file manager (explorere and Power Desk) which tries to access the drive on my Lexar multicard reader (which sets up "ghost" drives until a crd is inserted, so there is a D: drive even without a card in the reader). Using other readers which don't set up a "ghost," the PC won't even recognize any drive has been plugged in.

Thanks again.