Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Hague, The Netherlands
Hi

Maybe a ridiculous thought, but I thought I'd try this forum nonetheless.

I know the N800 can operate as a FM radio, i.e. it receives FM signals and with some software we can listen to what is aired out there.

However, I was wondering, is it technically possible to invert this process, i.e. to have the N800 generate FM signals, and thus have it operate e.g. in a car without an external plugged in transmitter, and listen to our music/podcasts on our car radio?

No it is not possible.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Hague, The Netherlands
Fair enough.

Thanks for your quick reply though!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
FM transmitters are cheap anyway. Just that they may not be used in some countries...

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
FM transmitters are cheap anyway. Just that they may not be used in some countries...
And if the N800 had FM transmitting capabilities, it's use would also be banned.

AM transmission can readily be accomplished with non-intended hardware; there exist programs to accomplish this using a video card and CRT, for example. But we have no readily controllable analog outputs like the RGB channels for a CRT, so it'd be harder for even that. I don't know of any hacks that repurpose other hardware for FM transmission.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
You can use this FM transmitter:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4566839

Great to use in the car. Can also charge the N800/810

You can see it at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-02700S...2756940&sr=8-2

It's possible if you can add a FM transmit mode by modifying the circuit.

Many car radios have blue tooth for cell phones. Would that be an option for sending the sound of an N800 to a car radio?

Originally Posted by belder View Post
Many car radios have blue tooth for cell phones. Would that be an option for sending the sound of an N800 to a car radio?
Yes, but the quality won't be as good. There is an unsupported hack for A2DP somewhere, I believe. Best way though, is, to get a car stereo with aux in (due to the popularity of iPods, this is becoming more and more common). Simply plug a cable between the aux in of the stereo and the N800's headphone socket.