Originally Posted by corsac View Post
It's not a JFFS2 fs but the mtd stuff might work, at least it deserves a try, thanks!
Ok, it doesn't work at first sight. When adding the loop0 to the block2mtd module, I can see it inside the (just created) mtdblock0 node, but it's exactly the same content as the rootfs.lzo file, so I'm not too sure what I gained, and indeed file replies “data” and I can't mount it using ext4.

I believe the filesystem still needs mounted, I am thinking the nandsim approach is needed, and the pagesize might need to be set to 4096, but these are all guesses for now

Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
I believe the filesystem still needs mounted, I am thinking the nandsim approach is needed, and the pagesize might need to be set to 4096, but these are all guesses for now
I've tried the nandsim approach (dd-ing the rootfs.lzo image to mtdblock) and the block2mtd approach. In both cases I can read the /dev/mtdblock0 file and it shows the exact same content as the rootfs.lzo file, and I just can't mount it.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
I am very interested in this. My N900 is my spare phone so I may be able to help with testing in the future, after July 3rd, when I return back home.

Keep up the great detective work!

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
This thread is really interesting to follow. So basically since the N950 uses the same SoC the OS can be ported to work on the N900 (in theory at least)?
Not exactly the same SOC, the N9/50 uses an OMAP3 3630+SGX530. When Nokia releases the kernel source, we might be able to adapt it for the N900. But right now, if we wanted to boot the image, we'd probably use the MeeGo Kernel.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
When Nokia releases the kernel source
Here. Does anyone know if Harmattan is built with thumb instructions? The N900's OMAP can't cope with those.

Last edited by lma; 2011-06-23 at 11:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Here. Does anyone know if Harmattan is built with thumb instructions? The N900's OMAP can't cope with those.
I don't have the config file around but iirc thumb2 wasn't enabled, I'll check tomorrow in case nobody does it first.

I don't have the config file around but iirc thumb2 wasn't enabled, I'll check tomorrow in case nobody does it first.
Ok, it was easy enough to check:

Code:
$ grep THUMB arch/arm/configs/rm581_defconfig
CONFIG_ARM_THUMB=y
# CONFIG_ARM_THUMBEE is not set
# CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL is not set
Hope that helps.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Code:
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfp3
IIRC, thumb and thumbee are missing from certain hardware revisions of the N900. Not on mine though.

In other N950 related news, it has a C64x DSP! Everything Maemo 6 should work fine, except probably omap34xxcam.

Ok, it was easy enough to check:

Code:
$ grep THUMB arch/arm/configs/rm581_defconfig
CONFIG_ARM_THUMB=y
# CONFIG_ARM_THUMBEE is not set
# CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL is not set
Hope that helps.
Not much, rx51_defconfig had the same. I notice CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973 is not set, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Code:
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfp3
IIRC, thumb and thumbee are missing from certain hardware revisions of the N900. Not on mine though.
Not missing, just buggy (see above link).

Tags
harmattan, meego