Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
did qgil said something to this topic in any of these threads? cant see him anywhere and just wondering...

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Better yet, start your own company and produce phones that use MeeGo/QT. Shouldn't be that hard. (Isn't that the mantra around here - do it yourself - or does that only apply to software?)
It's not easy to build good phones but there could be other options.. More specifically, it seems like HTC doesn't really care what OS is shipping on their devices, as long as it sells. I wonder if a company could enter a partnership with HTC and do the meego hardware adaption for existing (or soon to be released) HTC phones. Clearly, if there is a demand for meego phones, such a partnership would generate value. The question is how HTC and the partner company would capture this value.. maybe they could sell the meego variant of the HTC phones for a premium price, start their own meego-app store, or something like that (?).

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
did qgil said something to this topic in any of these threads? cant see him anywhere and just wondering...
Nope. (I did a search for qgil in Find Post by User, and he's posted nothing since December.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by pinsh View Post
maybe they could sell the meego variant of the HTC phones for a premium price, start their own meego-app store, or something like that (?).

The phone almost nobody wants at a price nobody would be willing to pay... and HTC able to create the web/software infrastructure that Nokia couldn't... Sorry, I really can't see HTC going this route unless there's a sudden demand for phones that run Kismet. It certainly wouldn't be available in America... which carrier is going to subsidize a phone with complete user access to the code?

You're going to see MeeGo on the newest craze, tablets, where it makes more marketing sense. There's no scenario for now where desktop Linux comes to the phone. (Although as I recommended to someone else, pick up a Viliv N5 and put Linux on it and you're pretty close to an upgraded N900) Once the majority of cell phone users are using smart phones in a few years' time and mobile processors have improved in performance and power consumption to rival desktops, then you'll see a demand for a more serious cell phone OS. Of course, by that time Windows and probably OS X will be ported to ARM....

I think Microsoft already announced that the next Windows OS will be ARM compatible.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Last fiscal year, Nokia spent almost $4B on research. It's almost incomprehensible that they couldn't get an OS built on linux and QT out the door with that kind of funding. If Nokia believed it was truly incapable of getting this done, they should have joined the OHA and rolled their own Android build, substituting OVI services for Google's. Or perhaps throwing all of their weight behind Symbian. I could be wrong, but I don't think this partnership is going to stop the decline of Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to chowdahhead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
It was only first when I noticed the N900 that devices of this size * REALLY * became interesting for me. Shiny mobiles was nice to have, but this was something else. It was an internet tablet, and yeah it could do phone too.
It was a linux based thingy with a lot of child diseases but I just love it.
There doesn't even today exist anything like it, everything else is just phones, and I don't get the idea why the heck people bother about those clumsy thingys. The N900 is everything else...and a phone.

So, yes, Nokia<-->M$ is an evil merger, that sure brings a sad future for the open sourced device with free communities.

About WinPhone7 (again, from my own oppinion). I have really loved WinCE for many years and worked with it professionally. It's a really nice OS in the bottom there and cannot really be compared with otherwise bloated desktop OS'es developed by M$. WinPhone7 however I don't like for many reasons, one is the DRM crap and other stupid US moral-way-of-life decisions it is based on (like forbidding any application that would even contain a pubic hair in it).

So, finally I'd like to say it is sad that Nokia go this way when they really have the MeeGo coming up...it was SOOO promising.
"SmartPhones" are tech. devices I don't give a *hit about how they look or behave, so I better wait til something else comes up that ressembles the N900 (because the N900 isn't just a smartphone).
I don't care about +50000 apps to download or how * smoooooth* the user interface looks. It just superficial eye-candy.

Last edited by Larswad; 2011-02-11 at 21:21.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chowdahhead View Post
Last fiscal year, Nokia spent almost $4B on research. It's almost incomprehensible that they couldn't get an OS built on linux and QT out the door with that kind of funding. If Nokia believed it was truly incapable of getting this done, they should have joined the OHA and rolled their own Android build, substituting OVI services for Google's. Or perhaps throwing all of their weight behind Symbian. I could be wrong, but I don't think this partnership is going to stop the decline of Nokia.
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/f...Dbreakdown.jpg

But only 300 Million went to Meego and QT, they spent 1.1 billion on Symbian, in comparison

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/f...Dbreakdown.jpg

But only 300 Million went to Meego and QT, they spent 1.1 billion on Symbian, in comparison
Thanks for this. I've been unable all day to find a real number.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
hey i lost my n900 phone can anyone tell me if i can track my phone .

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining