So it's Xperia order time. Looking forward to first public betas.

I second that Jolla could also make a free version available without the commercial parts. That combined with easy install would give SFOS a chance to present itself to larger audience of which a percentage would order the commercial one.

Actually that is the motivation of the whole thing so I believe they will do it sooner or later.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I wonder how different would it be from, for example buying a nexus 5 and running the ported sailfishOS?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Trying Sailfishos for about maybe 100 bucks?
Who said $100?

I heard it will be a MILLION QUID! Outrageous! Down with Jolla!

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Who said $100?

I heard it will be a MILLION QUID! Outrageous! Down with Jolla!
It was my assumption quoting the bloq post
Lastly: one of our community members just recently suggested an idea of offering Sailfish OS for Sony Xperia software as one type of compensation alternative in the Jolla Tablet refund program. This sounds like a great idea, and we have also thought about it. But first, we need to evaluate how feasible it is, and in what schedule it could be done. We’d also be happy to hear what you others think of the idea!
But your are right, no one says that 50% of the complete refund - it should be about 100 bucks - will be balanced or that this will happen at all. Jolla just asks for our opinion on that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
I'm not keen on paying for an operating system, but they've always come with a phone & this time it's different.

I'll probably get a phone tomorrow, now it's officially official.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
I'm not keen on paying for an operating system, but they've always come with a phone & this time it's different.

I'll probably get a phone tomorrow, now it's officially official.
What exactly is officially official?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
It was my assumption quoting the bloq post

But your are right, no one says that 50% of the complete refund - it should be about 100 bucks - will be balanced or that this will happen at all. Jolla just asks for our opinion on that.
Since I was involved in the proposal I can tell you that I never believed that selling price for the image should correspond to the 2nd part of the refund because:

1. We are not legally entitled to any refund so the refund is a nice gesture from Jolla (I know I will be killed for that remark)

2. Getting an SFOS Image would please me more than a refund and would cost way less for Jolla - and I am really interested in promoting SFOS and that means that we need attractive HW to introduce our friends into SFOS (and off course, SFOS still Needs a lot polishing like all the stuff said before, paid apps, good calendar and other PIM stuff, a faster browser ... you name it. And I wish they would support F5122 (Xperia X dual SIM))

3. Selling the image to those interested in SFOS really makes sense because Jolla needs revenues. And off course, providing an image for sale requires that merely everybody can install the image without major skills on his or her own.

From my perspective, Jolla is taking the right turn. Hopefully it will be a road – sorry, a course (I recall we are sailing) – to success.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Quite on the contrary, James Noori wrote in one of his comments that the the price of the OS image wil be totally independent of the refund.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Trying Sailfishos for about maybe 100 bucks? No one will do that outside of our core community and a lot of them are frustrated about the tablet desaster.

They should make the base image free to download and one should pay for everything else like Aliendalvik as you and others proposed here.

Let's see with what Jolla will suprise us again in future:-)
A very well adapted SailfishOS for Xperia X including AD, EAS and XT9 could cost 100 $.

I would pay it, but other maybe - not it depends on many things.
But i think the fee would not be higher than 50 EUR. (IMHO)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Speculation alert: (hell, what else are we doing in this thread?

Their business model isn't selling the OS to the end user. Even if they are hoping to get into that eventually (who wouldn't be?), they aren't funding themselves doing that now. They want the big deals with China and Russia (and Brasil, India, etc. etc.) to go forward, and this stuff with Sony (and by extension us) is really just to facilitate that - to get the OS out there, on more devices, tested.

I'd guess they're going to charge us more or less exactly what they have to pay to Myriad etc. for licenses [edit: and I'd further guess the charge to us has more to do with getting them to sign the licenses than the actual cost]. I'd be shocked if it's anything close to 100$.

Last edited by MikeHG; 2017-06-30 at 13:55.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x