Hehehe, yes it is a bit long but in summary:

1) N9/ N950 should not be released currently, read original post as to why. But top reasoning is that Nokia is facing a brand issue. No point in releasing what will most certainly be panned as a DOA device commercially.

2) Elop is doing a great job even though although I hate the choices he has made. I say this because I appreciate the short term strategy he has employed is to save Nokia from itself. OPK was the worst CEO for that matter and all this was because of his inaction. Read the original post as to my analysis on this.

3) Going to Meego was a error that needs to be re-examined as to why it happened. It provided no value added proposition to Nokia's portfolio when they had Maemo. Tough questions have to be asked regarding the Meego transition.

4) Nokia is still in a burning platform regardless of going towards WP7. The underlying lack of hardware will be the predominant reason why it is in a race to the bottom. Although today's stock price drop indicates more a bottoming out ... I see growth in this stock as the price will increase regardless of what happens. Nokia wouldn't go bankrupt, another company might buy, or they can hold it long enough to make money on the WP7 decision.

I'm not in the wrong thread, I do give my opinion on the N9/ N950 phone. I do say some other things as well, read it or don't read it ... it just felt good to get these festering thoughts out of my head .

The Following User Says Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
If it had a Atom chipset then yes would of already been given by the required powers that be.
Intel are acting like F'ing school children anyone noticed all the little digs they keep taking at nokia in interviews and stuff? they just mad they wont be able to sell millions of Atom chips to Nokia now in 2013 since Nokia plans changed around MeeGo.
To be fair (if your characterization of Intel is accurate) Nokia DID enter into a big, strategy-defining partnership with Intel . . . only to give them absolutely zero warning when they suddenly announced they were almost completely abandoning that path. I have to admit, if I was at Intel right now I'd probably be acting a bit childish too---not to say that they should, but that the impulse is understandable.

Edit: I know the topic has moved on since then, but I'm doing my part to have as many things being discussed at once as possible. Otherwise, however will we get to 1,000 pages before there's an actual announcement?

Last edited by keithzg; 2011-06-01 at 02:53.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
...they can rather throw a WP7 OS and recoup more out of the chassis then waste it on future disruption.
Too bad Microsoft makes more from Android than WP7

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
I ultimately believe the real problems are because of OPK. He did not do the transition fast enough, nor did he play a true leadership role unlike Elop is doing right now ... I hate everything he has done but the guy is exuding confidence and steadfast resolve. OPK was dithering and non-comittal ... he tried to appease everyone like a true engineer would do ... but nothing gets done when you appease everyone.
There is probably some truth in there... I have a feeling he had a great plan, but unfortunately it was spoiled by millions of consumers not doing what they were supposed to do.

The geniuses at Nokia decided it was more fruitful to go with intel, scrap maemo, and design from the beginning again ... wtf are you kidding me? That was stupid, and every individual involved in that process has to be considered inept. What was the benefits?
You must remember the big change at the time, the investment in Qt. Qt is already "official" in N900, but I think it isn't really the main thing, isn't it? And there is a lot of restructuring coming with Harmattan/MeeGo.

Maemo was "good enough" already, that's for sure, but they were/are after something new, "disruptive"... You said they can't afford to do that, but they can't afford NOT to do that. Nokia is not (or does not want to be) just any manufacturer. They have great design. They come up with new great stuff, like cameraphones. And 18 carats gold plated phones... It seemed moving to MeeGo would bring much more innovation, and a more dynamic and interesting future, not to say a larger community, and so they moved to it instead of holding back to a Maemo that was working fine, but wasn't "disrupting". Us red-pill hackers are happy all the same.

The N9/N950 should not be released with anything Meego nor Maemo. Why release a phone that is destined to be panned by critics for sure. Nokia has to salvage the brand as a quality brand.
I don't think that will happen... I feel there is a general positive anticipation about MeeGo. People may criticize the bumps, turns and delays, a terrible trip, but the destinations still seems interesting.

If the specs are really outdated, that might concentrate lots of criticism, but this is good, because if the software works great, that will be easily dismissed.

I don't see why Nokia would have to abandon the project altogether to invest just in WP7. I think they can handle both, and there wouldn't even be much gain to WP7. You may be "thinking different" too much, thinking a company can only handle a single phone project at a time. And I have a feeling the delay of the Windows phone might have to do with the difficulty of making that system good enough for Nokia...

They should release a limited release Meego device every time Apple is making their announcement so as to undercut the Apple hype machine. Meego would get some trail off publicity and become the benchmark with which apple is compared to ...
Totally agree with you in here, Nokia is too slow. Back when the N900 was released I wrote a small article in my blog comparing it to the iPhone of the time. I still remember how it was great to write that, and raise awareness about lots of issues. Months, years later there was no following device... But I think they embarked on lots of drastic changes, so we have to be understanding. Let's see what Harmattan will do, and where we stay later this year. If the company puts its feet on the ground again, I bet they can release a sequel phone in Q1, Q2 next year.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
of ineterest is that nokia's rm device info slated for public release by the FCC (the hwkb "dev" device) in June has another device (from memory rm_744 or rm-745) slated to come out of confidentiality clause @ 21July. could this be the candybar consumer device.
I'm at work so can't dig up much info on this rm-744 (or could be rm-745).......
would make sense to release the dev hardware a month before the consumer device

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney

The N9/N950 should not be released with anything Meego nor Maemo. Why release a phone that is destined to be panned by critics for sure. Nokia has to salvage the brand as a quality brand. Limited release makes sense, developer channel makes sense, but don't waste money on making a a single commercial Meego device without having the WP7 hype of next year to bolster Nokia's brand likeability.
Sounds like MS anti Linux PR / FUD to me.

Hehehe, yes it is a bit long but in summary:

1) N9/ N950 should not be released currently, read original post as to why. But top reasoning is that Nokia is facing a brand issue. No point in releasing what will most certainly be panned as a DOA device commercially.
No, it should. Getting a new Linux device is good for consumers. It's bad only for MS and Apple.

3) Going to Meego was a error
No, betraying Meego and selling themselves to MS was an error. Time will tell.

4) Nokia is still in a burning platform regardless of going towards WP7.
Agreed. I'd stress - even more burning, because of going towards WP7. Or probably not so much burning anymore - sinking.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
guys its over nokia phones division purchased by ms last week as quoted by eldar now not intrested in n9 nor meego or nokia

The Following User Says Thank You to bhairav For This Useful Post:
Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by bhairav View Post
guys its over nokia phones division purchased by ms last week as quoted by eldar now not intrested in n9 nor meego or nokia
could we stop talking about eldar? he is still believing that nokia has produced only 92.000 meego devices at all...

and that rumor about buying nokia mobil devision...

seriously? c'mon, stop trolling

The Following User Says Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland