Notices

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
Today I just realized that all python applications (in my n900) that use pygtk, (e.g. pygtkeditor, n900fly, accdisplay.. ) are with their themes screwed up.

Menu of pygtkeditor, note the absence of the bg

Trying to search something in pygtkeditor

(if you enter text, you can see the auto-complete text but not the already entered chars)

To get it even weirder, all normal apps (non-pygtk) are ok. e.g:
Xterm menu:

I already tried removing python-gtk (which removed all this "affected" apps) and installing again to no avail..

python-gtk2 and everything else is from extras (AFAIK).
Maybe related: I installed "Reflect Theme"..

This issue MAY be related to this thread but since what I'm experiencing is way worse and more global I'm creating this new thread

Anyone knows any pygtk - specific confs (something like .pygtk)?
Anyone has any clue?

Thanks in advance!

SO.. just to put some heat on this..
I already changed my FW numerous times. Each time Ireset the firmware, everything goes back into normal.. and then.. suddenly.. as if "from nowhere".. this behavior restarts..

Anyone?

Originally Posted by cpscotti View Post
SO.. just to put some heat on this..
I already changed my FW numerous times. Each time Ireset the firmware, everything goes back into normal.. and then.. suddenly.. as if "from nowhere".. this behavior restarts..

Anyone?
No promises, but I do know a few things about these types of issues and I might be able to help.

Let's start with one of the built-in themes. For the purpose of this conversation, can you please switch to the Digital Nature Theme.

You talk about the Reflect Theme in your previous post, but it looks like the images are from the Digital Nature Theme (hildon-theme-beta). Is that correct?

I'm running PR 1.2 and I just installed pygtkeditor and set my theme to Digital Nature. Here's a screenshot that doesn't look like yours.

Name:  Screenshot-20100701-144616.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  20.4 KB

I have to get going at the moment, but I'll tell you about Fremantle themed buttons when I get back. That is actually a different issue. In the meantime, please post the output of the following:

Code:
ls -l /usr/share/themes/beta

So.. the output from the ls is:
Code:
Nokia-N900-51-1:~# ls -l /usr/share/themes/beta/ 
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 backgrounds
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 calendar
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 call-ui
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          838 Feb 17 09:41 colors.config
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 css
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 gtk-2.0
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        69632 Jan  2  2009 images
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          274 Feb 17 09:41 index.theme
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 matchbox
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 matchbox2
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 mediaplayer
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 rtcom-messaging-ui
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan  2  2009 startup-wizard
And the screenshot from pygtkeditor using the digital nature theme is attached.

The funny thing is that, as far as I know, only pygtk are affected.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by cpscotti View Post
The funny thing is that, as far as I know, only pygtk are affected.
Yeah, that's strange. Let's see how yours differs from my output of the following:

Code:
dpkg -l | grep -i python
Code:
ii  python                                              2.5.2-3maemo3                    An interactive high-level object-oriented language (defaul
ii  python-cairo                                        1.4.12-1.2maemo1                 Python bindings for the Cairo vector graphics library
ii  python-central                                      0.6.11.1maemo2                   register and build utility for Python packages
ii  python-dbus                                         0.83.0-1maemo3                   simple interprocess messaging system (Python interface)
ii  python-gconf                                        2.26.1-1maemo1                   Python bindings for the GConf configuration database syste
ii  python-gobject                                      2.16.1-1maemo1                   Python bindings for the GObject library
ii  python-gst0.10                                      0.10.14-2maemo5                  generic media-playing framework (Python bindings)
ii  python-gtk2                                         2.12.1-6maemo10                  Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
ii  python-hildon                                       0.9.0-1maemo15                   Python bindings for Hildon Framework.
ii  python-hildondesktop                                0.1.0-1maemo3                    Python bindings for libhildondesktop
ii  python-minimal                                      2.5.2-3maemo3                    A minimal subset of the Python language (default version)
ii  python-notify                                       0.1.1-2maemo1                    Python bindings for libnotify
ii  python-numeric                                      24.2-9maemo4                     Numerical (matrix-oriented) Mathematics for Python
ii  python-numpy                                        1:1.4.0-1maemo2                  Numerical Python adds a fast array facility to the Python 
ii  python-osso                                         0.4-0maemo2                      Python bindings for libosso library
ii  python-support                                      1.0.6maemo1                      automated rebuilding support for Python modules
ii  python-xml                                          0.8.4-10.1maemo4                 XML tools for Python
ii  python2.5                                           2.5.4-1maemo5                    An interactive high-level object-oriented language (versio
ii  python2.5-minimal                                   2.5.4-1maemo5                    A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.5)
I get no error or warning messages when I run pygtkeditor from the command line. Why not give that a try. And don't forget to bring up the menu.

Ok, first the output from the dpkg on python pkgs:
Code:
Nokia-N900-51-1:~# dpkg -l | grep -i python
ii  hildon-desktop-python-loader                        0.1.0-1maemo3                              Hildon Desktop Python Plugin Loader
ii  python                                              2.5.2-3maemo3                              An interactive high-level object-oriented language (default version)
ii  python-cairo                                        1.4.12-1.2maemo2                           Python bindings for the Cairo vector graphics library
ii  python-central                                      0.6.11.1maemo2                             register and build utility for Python packages
ii  python-dbus                                         0.83.0-1maemo3                             simple interprocess messaging system (Python interface)
ii  python-gconf                                        2.26.1-1maemo1                             Python bindings for the GConf configuration database system
ii  python-gobject                                      2.16.1-1maemo1                             Python bindings for the GObject library
ii  python-gst0.10                                      0.10.14-2maemo5                            generic media-playing framework (Python bindings)
ii  python-gtk2                                         2.12.1-6maemo10                            Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
ii  python-hildon                                       0.9.0-1maemo16                             Python bindings for Hildon Framework.
ii  python-hildondesktop                                0.1.0-1maemo3                              Python bindings for libhildondesktop
ii  python-minimal                                      2.5.2-3maemo3                              A minimal subset of the Python language (default version)
ii  python-notify                                       0.1.1-2maemo1                              Python bindings for libnotify
ii  python-numeric                                      24.2-9maemo4                               Numerical (matrix-oriented) Mathematics for Python
ii  python-osso                                         0.4-0maemo4                                Python bindings for libosso library
ii  python-pycurl                                       7.18.2-1maemo1                             Python bindings to libcurl
ii  python-simplejson                                   2.0.9-1maemo1                              Simple, fast, extensible JSON encoder/decoder for Python
ii  python-support                                      1.0.6maemo1                                automated rebuilding support for Python modules
ii  python-twitter                                      0.6-maemo1                                 A pure python interface for the Twitter API.
ii  python-xml                                          0.8.4-10.1maemo4                           XML tools for Python
ii  python2.5                                           2.5.4-1maemo6                              An interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.5)
ii  python2.5-minimal                                   2.5.4-1maemo6                              A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.5)
ii  python2.5-qt4-common                                4.7.3-maemo5                               Shared files for PyQt4
ii  python2.5-qt4-core                                  4.7.3-maemo5                               Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.
ii  python2.5-qt4-gui                                   4.7.3-maemo5                               Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.
ii  python2.5-sip4                                      4.10.2-maemo0                              Python/C++ bindings generator runtime library.
Running pygtkeditor on terminal I get no error msgs.. nothing. (Neither when I open a menu).
Also, same thing (no warnings nor erros for other pygtk apps..)
The apps I see the same behavior are accDisplay and n900fly.
Do you have an idea on any other python apps I should try in order to "track down" the problem?

I don't have

hildon-desktop-python-loader

Maybe try uninstalling that and rebooting. Also, you have a different (newer?)

python-osso

than I do. But I'd start with hildon-desktop-python-loader.

Now looking at the difference between the two package listings, odd things I can see are:
Code:
ii  hildon-desktop-python-loader                        0.1.0-1maemo3                              Hildon Desktop Python Plugin Loader
ii  python2.5-qt4-common                                4.7.3-maemo5                               Shared files for PyQt4
ii  python2.5-qt4-core                                  4.7.3-maemo5                               Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.
ii  python2.5-qt4-gui                                   4.7.3-maemo5                               Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.
ii  python2.5-sip4                                      4.10.2-maemo0                              Python/C++ bindings generator runtime library.
I just found something interesting on this. After noting that the recaller app is also in python but didn't suffer from this problem, I took part of its code and made a small "test" (attached) which worked ok. I'll try to figure out which is the difference in the coming hours.
Attached Files
File Type: txt test_gtkpy.py.txt (1.9 KB, 85 views)

I think all you've done is found the button theme thing I was suppose to fill you in on. Your test program might need menu items to be helpful. Try this one:
Attached Files
File Type: txt a.py.txt (2.5 KB, 80 views)

Ok, I just found out some really funny thing..
Both my apps and pygtkeditor use a shell script like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec python /opt/accDisplay/accDisplay.py
to launch the program. This scripts is stored under /usr/bin/.
Launching the app (both from the desktop links or the terminal) will call this scripts and then call the app itself.

I just tried running the exact same app but bypassing this script:
Code:
~ $ python /opt/pygtkeditor/pygtkeditor.py
And.. voila.. it works. What's the difference?

(EDIT: woops.. wait some more)

Last edited by cpscotti; 2010-07-02 at 17:44.