I ran an apparently successful OTA update to PR 1.3 yesterday, and product info in settings shows the correct release number.

I did have to "apt-get remove" a couple of things first (like libgles*) however.

Things seem to be running mostly fine (apart from a few apps that don't work any more), but I'm quite confused as to where I now stand with respect to Qt and PyQt...

I was led to believe that PR 1.3 comes with Qt 4.6. I don't see anything to that effect in the list of installed packages in app manager. I don't see anything either about the previous PyQt version I had installed before the update.

However, my little PyQt app (SnXM) still runs fine, and the About dialog still shows it using PyQt 4.7.5 and Qt 4.6.2.

Is this normal, or did something go wrong with the update ?...

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Binary compatibility perhaps?
My app compiles against Qt 4.6.2 but runs against 4.7.0
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

OK, but what Qt version string does it show when it's running ?...

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Mda-a... it looks like Qt release problems are much deeper.

See (and vote) for bug https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11445

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Tata, Hungary
Qt 4.7.0, QtMobility 1.0.2, though i might've installed mobility myself.

-sc

Last edited by ScarCow; 2010-10-26 at 19:14.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Things seem to be running mostly fine (apart from a few apps that don't work any more), but I'm quite confused as to where I now stand with respect to Qt and PyQt...

However, my little PyQt app (SnXM) still runs fine, and the About dialog still shows it using PyQt 4.7.5 and Qt 4.6.2.

Is this normal, or did something go wrong with the update ?...
Two notes:

1. You might be seeing ther version compiled against. Qt4.7 is binary backwards compatible, so it will generally work with 4.6 apps, by as I compiled PyQt with Qt4.6.2, that is the API that is exposed to python and if you reference something within *PyQt* you might get the old version.

2. Just a few days ago there was a release of a brand spanking new PyQt 4.8, so it's a happy coincidence - when I rebuild PyQt for the new firmware, I'll also bump the PyQt version so the Qt4.7 featureset in general should be supported (i.e. declarative and other assorted goodies).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Ok, I have Segmentation fault with my program (pyKake), arise with Pr 1.3. As I have tracked it down it is in QApplication, so I just put this short question here (before I create new topic or anything), is this caused compatibility problems with Qt4.7 and current PyQt or have I done something terribly wrong (except that with Pr 1.2 the program worked fine)

The (short) code:
Code:
print "a"
app = QApplication(sys.argv) # Allways crashes here, newer prints out that b or later ones.
print "b"
MiscFunctions().loadSettings()
print "c"
MiscFunctions().controlLircd("start")
print "d"

main = MainWindow()
print "e"
if USEFULLSCREEN == True:
    print "f" 
    main.showFullScreen()
else:
    print "g"
    main.show()
print "h"
app.exec_()
MiscFunctions().exitFunction()

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Two notes:
1. You might be seeing ther version compiled against. Qt4.7 is binary backwards compatible, so it will generally work with 4.6 apps, by as I compiled PyQt with Qt4.6.2, that is the API that is exposed to python and if you reference something within *PyQt* you might get the old version.
Yes, that's what I did, so that might explain it, thanks.
Is there a simple way to know what Qt version is on the device ? I haven't found it :-)

2. Just a few days ago there was a release of a brand spanking new PyQt 4.8, so it's a happy coincidence - when I rebuild PyQt for the new firmware, I'll also bump the PyQt version so the Qt4.7 featureset in general should be supported (i.e. declarative and other assorted goodies).
Great news, thanks much ! That will allow me to also upgrade PyQt on my PC, which I wasn't doing because of the N900...

Did I understand right?

If I want PyQt for pr1.3 with QT4.7 I have to install the package which is indicated for pr1.2 and PyQT4.6 which sometimes was linked to QT4.6.
But now the package provides also some features of PyQt4.8 which is linked to QT4.7.

Am I right?

And what is the package PyQt4.7 experimental for and how do I install it?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
DO NOT install the experimental 4.7 package. It's for Qt4.7, but as 4.7 is part of the base firmware now, all it will do is mess up your install.

In other words - stay put, the update will come to you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: