my n900 suddenly stopped installing applications,and i tried uninstalling thereafter,only to receive this message "unable to uninstall, internal error,Application 'app manager' closed".pls what do i do?

I'm having similar problems...many pieces of software especially those from OVI store (even paid downloads) report 0kb size and then say installation file corrupted.

Quite annoying...finally going to have to flash the device but I don't own a copy of XP.

I run linux but it is an x64 distribution...not sure if I can use that.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by bandario View Post
I run linux but it is an x64 distribution...not sure if I can use that.
Maemo Flasher-3.5 tool does not support any 64-bit operating systems.

If Flasher-3.5 is not supported on your operating system you can try to install Maemo SDK Virtual Image from Maemo Development Environment Downloads page and flash Maemo device from Virtual Image (which includes Ubuntu). This may or may not work for you depending on how well virtualization technology you use supports USB on your HW.
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php

I cant really install or uninstall any app at the moment and this is giving me a bad headache.wish i knew what to do at this time

anytime i tried to uninstall an app. it reads;

"unable to uninstall app.

internal error

app manager close"

This is completely frustrating.i need someone's help pls

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by lekan09 View Post
I cant really install or uninstall any app at the moment and this is giving me a bad headache.wish i knew what to do at this time
Quick reply.
Probably some part of memory is corrupted.
You should probably flash the whole device.
BUT: take backups first! Make sure everything you need is copied to PC so that you could restore it later, after flashing.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Flasher

Im pretty sorry about this but i have little knowledge about the flash or take backups.maybe i will have to use the xterminal.pls can you help with the necessary codes?i previously installed about 4 or 5 app and im certain the problem might have occurred as a result of this.incoorpurating the codes in the xterminal,hope i wont lose some default app from my N900.kindly advice...

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by lekan09 View Post
Im pretty sorry about this but i have little knowledge about the flash or take backups.maybe i will have to use the xterminal.pls can you help with the necessary codes?i previously installed about 4 or 5 app and im certain the problem might have occurred as a result of this.incoorpurating the codes in the xterminal,hope i wont lose some default app from my N900.kindly advice...
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but try this:

sudo gainroot
apt-get remove "the name of your app (without the quotation marks)"
apt-get autoremove
and see if that works. The name of your app isn't necessary the actual name of the app, but rather the file name. To find the actual file name of your app, do a search here:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t...antle/install/

so for example, the very first app in that list is: 100boxes.install, then the appname would just be "100boxes", without the .install extension.

But i strongly suggest you flash your device, both the image (firmware) and also the eMMC.

I'm sure you can borrow your friend's PC with XP installed, i did that and flashed it very quick, the whole process took me literally 5 minutes

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Maemo Flasher-3.5 tool does not support any 64-bit operating systems.

If Flasher-3.5 is not supported on your operating system you can try to install Maemo SDK Virtual Image from Maemo Development Environment Downloads page and flash Maemo device from Virtual Image (which includes Ubuntu). This may or may not work for you depending on how well virtualization technology you use supports USB on your HW.
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php

Ya that's what i did before actually.....i'm running Windows 7 x64 and had to install VMWare, and then install XP, and basically run it as a virtual PC and flash my N900. However, i could only flash the firmware, whereas flashing the eMMc doens't work, so the 2nd time i had to borrow my friend's laptop with XP installed on it....

Last edited by chaoscreater; 2010-08-09 at 00:23.

The GUI front-end HAM has no idea how to process errors.

I doubt you'll need to re-flash however it would be EASIER.

$ sudo apt-get -f install
That probably won't fix the problem but at least it SHOULD indicate which packages are causing trouble.

If it asks you:
Code:
Remove (y/n)?
just type y and enter.
That should hopefully fix any dependency errors.

Please note: helloworld is nothing more than a sample/example package name and a place-holder for *insert name here*

If it asks you:
Code:
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?
Then DO NOT type that in, you are nearly guaranteed to bork your install.

If it says:
Code:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
build-essential: Depends: helloworld (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
Then you are in for a world of hurt. You can either re-flash or attempt the following.

<*insert standard THIS IS FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY - it may brick your device, kidnap your dog, or crash your car...*>
Method 1: Ignore Method
Remove the line listing the dependency in /var/lib/dpkg/status
via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187293

---------------------------

If you have the error:
Code:
Building dependency tree... Done
E: The package helloworld needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
Method 1: Built-in script method(never works)
Code:
$ sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq helloworld
Method 2: Remove method (works)
Code:
$ sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/helloworld.* /dev/null/
Post the errors the CLI utilities give and a more precise assessment can be made. This of course assumes that you are experiencing "dependency hell" - if it's something else such as a corrupt Hildon Application Manager, well then that's another issue altogether.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
@chaoscreater
An easier way IMO to find the name is to:
Code:
$ sudo dpkg -l > /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/installedpkgs
$ leafpad /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/installedpkgs
Then scroll through the document looking for the closest match.
Alternatively you may get lucky with:
Code:
$ sudo apt-cache search keyword