Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by 3beers View Post
how do you know that the MeeGo-Harmattan(Maemo core) device will be released? I think that is history and they moved the UI to meego.
because qgil said so on this board.
how do YOU know it's history?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
If you are right then I guess N9 won't be my N900 replacement device. I'm holding off for N10 or something next with A9 or dual core in it that run MeeGo. Beside first year of MeeGo will be like a baby nursary and will be a lot of bumps and lumps. Best to wait for MeeGo to at least learning to crawling and that may be 1year after the launch? I'm not to buy a device with fresh new OS and out dated hardware spec. A8 era is 2010 but A9 can be in 2011

Please Nokia learn to listen and bring out A9 processor or U8500 in N9 if you want to win the mobile war!!
I thought that the reason MeeGo was conceived (ie merged from Maemo and Moblin) was because Intel were going to supply the cpu for future MeeGo devices. Therefore an N10 device would surely sport the Moorestown cpu or a derivative thereof?

If we think that Nokia will for sure be the largest player as far as phones go, why would they go for X86? Symbian for certain isn't going for it as the whole idea of Symbian is to keep hw costs down and Nokia needs the cross platform Qt apps that they have with Symbian and MeeGo.

And anyways moorestown is still not really even a option over the much less resource hungry dual core ARM that will really start showing up next year like moorestown.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Wasn't U8500 supposed to be the hardware platform for S^4?

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
because qgil said so on this board.
how do YOU know it's history?

because I don't see any reason to release a maemo6 branded as meego device. It will create only confusion on both sides: developers and end users.
Not to mention submitting apps to ovi store.

On the other side I don't think they can release a product and brand it as meego if it's not compatibile with real meego.

at least this is my opinion, I don't have clear fact.

I thought that the reason MeeGo was conceived (ie merged from Maemo and Moblin) was because Intel were going to supply the cpu for future MeeGo devices. Therefore an N10 device would surely sport the Moorestown cpu or a derivative thereof?
not quite. meego was conceived because intel needed to enter in phone business but they don't have experience, and nokia can help them, and nokia needed to enter in tablet,netbook and internet TVs(Nokia-siemens has a qt internet Tv-project based on the ST-ericson CPU see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSExXFxSnSw ) and extend the maemo(now meego) boundaries.

Nokia knows that is a long run until intel creates a power efficient cpu to be used on phones, and intel knows that too since they are focusing more on larger devices like netbooks,tablets(where you can put powerfull bateries) and internet TVs where the power efficiency in not needed. same thing for the Meego IVI project.

Another thing that nokia is gone benefit is that intel is gone promote Qt framework leading to more developers for both meego and symbian.

Just my idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to 3beers For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
so does that mean no n9 before late 2011?
i read everywhere that n9 will come Q1 2011?
so whats the point?
any links?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

there is no N9 ... but only yourself.

anyway, i keep hearing about this 3640 noise, that would be again the worst idea for nokia, as stated this year, and next year will be to beginning of omap4. nokia knows that its highend niche user base will bail on them if its weaker than the current crop of procs. omap4 > ompa3. especially now with the "delay ..."

Originally Posted by 3beers View Post
because I don't see any reason to release a maemo6 branded as meego device. It will create only confusion on both sides: developers and end users.
Not to mention submitting apps to ovi store.

On the other side I don't think they can release a product and brand it as meego if it's not compatibile with real meego.

at least this is my opinion, I don't have clear fact.
They already have. There's very lengthy discussion around this in this forum with Qgil when MeeGo was announced early this year. MeeGo-Harmattan is not a MeeGo product but branded as one.
I don't understand what confusion there could be concerning OVI?

Harmattan is not something totally separate from MeeGo handheld UX. Example MeeGo touch was actually called harmattan framework ~5 months ago.

Thought you are right that this might have now changed and seeing what changes Elop have been doing it might be possible that they are going straight for MeeGo.... would fit with the delay rumours as well that N9 would be seen in late Q2.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Wasn't U8500 supposed to be the hardware platform for S^4?
Yes U8500 was developed to be reference platform for Symbian Foundation, but then when that was announced Maemo 5 was not yet even seen and the general opinion in here was that rover/rx-51 wasn't even a phone and Nokia had denied that fremantle even was for phones.
But then linaro have been working already for some MeeGo and U8500 love. ST-ERICSSON will actually have session in MeeGo Conference next week.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
I really hope that this U8500 isn't the basis for the N9 - the U8500 has only USB 2.0 support and I was kinda hoping the N9 would have USB 3.0 support

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
usb 3.0 support?
nooo way

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Tags
hatersgonnahate, one more, useless thread