Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
To install a certificate you should just need to "launch" (douple tap) it from File Manager. The only certificates with can be imported are CA certificates though, which self-signed ones aren't usually - you'll need to create one specially with the CA flag set.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
i've read this already somewhere and i tried it.

i exportet the certificate though firefox as a .pem file (i dont know what its called in english, my admin said its the 2nd available file format in the exporting dialog that should have that CA flag).. but the .pem file is still marked on the device with a questionmark and when i double click it i only get the details from it and its not listed in cert-manager.. is there anything i could have done wrong while exporting or something ?

To check whether it's a CA certificate, look at the certificate in Firefox. In the Certificate Fields, look for the Extensions section and the Certificate Basic Constraints field. If you select that, it should say "Is a Certificate Authority".

To Export from Firefox I think you just want the single certificate (not the chain). It should work by just exporting the very top certificate in the hierarchy, but may require each of the CAs in the hierarchy exporting separately.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
ok it seems that we dont have a CA certificate.. so i guess its up to the sysadmin to create one if i want to use MfE or is there any other solution?

From what has been said here, a certificate requires the CA flag in order to import into the Certificate Manager, and without a valid loaded CA certificate for a secure site, MfE won't work.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
As a side note:

Could somebody who feels confident enough please check
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mail_for_Exchange
and make required changes to reflect the status of PR 1.1?

I wanted to edit the compatibility section today, which still lists is not compatible: "Microsoft Exchange 2003 (is supported in the first MfE update which is not available for public yet)"
After reading this thread I decided not to touch the page, though, as some users still report problems, I don't have access to any Exchange server myself and maybe it's better overall if somebody does it who know what he/she writes about.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bangalore, India
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
From what has been said here, a certificate requires the CA flag in order to import into the Certificate Manager, and without a valid loaded CA certificate for a secure site, MfE won't work.
I have the same problem as Paul.
I just hope we get a workaround to install non CA certificates.

Is the 2009.51.1 compatible with MfE server 2003?
It can be downloaded now. Atleast for me, it solved my communication problems.

Next problem is that the actual MfE is a bit crappy. Somekind of a Mfe type Widget is needed to allow quick looking of the mails. I'm a bit surprised since I didn't find any widget for this.
I mean come on, even crappiest cell phones which are capable of showing email have this ability. You know, phone is always showing the few recent mails. In this way you can instantly see if there's any mail for you.
With the n900 MfE you'll have to A) keep the email SW running ALL the time (at least I didn't find alternative solution)
B) open software EVERY time when you want to see if you have mail.

Originally Posted by JMzz View Post
Is the 2009.51.1 compatible with MfE server 2003?
It can be downloaded now. Atleast for me, it solved my communication problems.

Next problem is that the actual MfE is a bit crappy. Somekind of a Mfe type Widget is needed to allow quick looking of the mails. I'm a bit surprised since I didn't find any widget for this.
I mean come on, even crappiest cell phones which are capable of showing email have this ability. You know, phone is always showing the few recent mails. In this way you can instantly see if there's any mail for you.
With the n900 MfE you'll have to A) keep the email SW running ALL the time (at least I didn't find alternative solution)
B) open software EVERY time when you want to see if you have mail.
Not quite what you want but new emails are always shown in the task switch manager even if your email app is not open. If you are not in the task switcher you always know you have new email or any messages because the task switch button on the top left hand corner glows yellow.

A email widget would also be nice, like this one for IMs

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...-inbox-widget/

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
i did the 51 upgrade yesterday and i still can't synchronise my mail and agenda from my gmail account !
i've seen that mfe 2003 is supported in 51 fw so wtf is the probleme this time ???

Tags
activesync, certificate, email, exchange, fremantle, ignore tex14, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, provisioning, sync, thanks vitaly!