Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
OK as some may or may not know I broke my LCD in my N900 a few days ago. Managed to source a new one from Sians Mobiles and phones is now fixed!

Anyway, I made a video: N900 LCD Screen Replacement Video

As I'm sure you will see from the video, I'm a long way from a Mobile Phone Engineer...in other words, if I can do it, anyone can!

Hope it helps someone

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
Wow, you talk really fast!

But thanks for the vid, its interesting.

Last edited by slartibartfass; 2010-09-10 at 20:41.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
Originally Posted by slartibartfass View Post
Wow, you talk really fast!

But thanks for the vid, its interesting.

Haha...must be the caffeine

I'm amazed its working frankly...it seemed pretty easy considering...almost too easy - I was looking around for bits I'd left out

But its working perfectly. And just cuz I'm so happy its working again, I've cranked the processor up to 1Ghz....you wont see a video of me using a BGA machine and replacing it though

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

Your video is inspiring. My N900 took the brunt of a bicycle fall recently, and the LCD cracked. A gradual black (liquid?) has been spreading over part of the LCD since then, making it a challenge to see things on screen. I'm considering trying your technique. So, I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions: is your phone still working fine, several months after you replaced your phone's LCD? Have you noticed any differences? Did you ever find out if the replacement LCD is in fact made by Nokia (i.e. genuine)? And what additional tips could you provide for somebody considering trying your technique? Also, what was the size/type of screwdriver you purchased? I couldn't make this out from the speeded up video. I'm in the U.S., so I don't know whether there are any LCD manufacturers stateside, or whether I would need to purchase through SiamsMobiles, as you did.

I'll look forward to your response and any further advice you can provide.

Thank you.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
LCD and the service costs 100-140 euros in Finland. LCD is about 40 euros on ebay. And used N900 is 150-200 euros in Finland. So maybe I'll try to fix my N900 myself. Please keep thumbs up!

One more question: N900 service manual says that "Tighten the two TORX + size 6 screws to the torque of 6 in the order shown" and Phillips to the 15 Ncm. How can I know the right torque with screwdriver ?

Last edited by Metsämies; 2011-07-26 at 06:04.