Notices

[QUOTE=MiBi;232567]Davidsco27,

if that is your "constructive" way to help development, i suggest you simply stop using maemo mapper. No one forces you to use this software, you did not have to pay for it so just leave it.

I responded in kind to another board geek pumping his chest. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize by purchasing the device, it was my responsibility to "help development" perhaps that should've been posted on the box.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
[QUOTE=davidsco27;232582]
Originally Posted by MiBi View Post
I responded in kind to another board geek pumping his chest. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize by purchasing the device, it was my responsibility to "help development" perhaps that should've been posted on the box.
Like uhm, no. obviously you don't. I'm perfectly fine just being a user.
But I know that the developers are making great programs that you or I can use, and that they are bound to make mistakes every now or then,. can you really blame them? some of them are really complex programs, and a lot of time has been invested in them. And because of that it is that we can't go around complaining. Im really thankful, and if something stops working, then ask them to fix it, with the respect that the work they did deserves.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
davidsco:

If you don't like Maemo Mapper, you really should sell or give away your tablet and start using one of the many great free gps programs you can get in Windows, because Maemo Mapper is one of the best programs the tablets have. You obviously either don't understand or don't appreciate that this program was created at no cost by a volunteer, and an incredibly hard-working volunteer.

How about you start programming and we insult you for your efforts?

Hey guys ignore this davidsco27 guy, he just trolls the internet bashing people and products:

http://www.epinions.com/user-davidsco27/show_~content

http://forumst.slickdeals.net/showpo...postcount=1144

Just look at his post history here or anywhere else. It's probably best just to leave this angry bitter old guy alone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to st5150 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by chelbos View Post
open a X Terminal
and then copy the text below:

cd /
mv com.gnuite.maemo_mapper.service /usr/share/dbus-1/services/
mv maemo-mapper.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon/
First do a
Code:
sudo gainroot
, as fpp says ...
and I had to hook up my little dreamGEAR miniKey keyboard to get the "_" character entered properly.

But maemo-mapper is working again, and contacted my Holux GPS with no problem, and in turn showed me my position in midtown Toronto with the usual accuracy.

Originally Posted by brashley46 View Post
I had to hook up my little dreamGEAR miniKey keyboard to get the "_" character entered properly.
An upstroke on the "-" key does it for me.

fnord
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Or you can change it to the special symbols keyboard (the icon for it is on the right most of the on screen keyboard).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Using the steps chelbos listed Maemo-Mapper works fine on Diablo. No worries.

The best way to deal with guys like davidsco27, is just to ignore everything he posts. He doesn't deserve a response.

Thanks to gnuite for this excellent application. I like Maemo Mapper on the N800 better than a dedicated handheld GPS unit.

Thanks everyone for helping to sort out this update problem.

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
I don't think it's related to this update, but I can't seem to connect to the GPS anymore.... it keeps saying "searching for a GPS receiver" and the GPS icon in the status area keeps turning off and on.
I had the same problem, running on my 770 with OS2007HE. Updated to 2.5 and while my start icon was there it would not connect to my GPS receiver. The GPS and location boxes in Settings were grayed out. I couldn't even do a new GPS address scan.

Uninstalled and reinstalled 2.5 with no change.

Putting 2.4.2 didn't work either. Had to go back to 2.4.1 and all's back to normal.

I'm perfectly happy with that. Works great and I appreciate having the software. Thanks to gnuite. I expect a bit a flakiness with my hardware and the HE OS. Didn't try to update my N800 yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to cecil For This Useful Post: